Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
also a possibility...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

also a possibility

I am not currently at my house, but when I get there I will buy a charger to take apart and see how it works. then I can draw a schematic with the charger in the circuitry.

Linux Guru
    Just a quick little note, since back in the day I was a industrial electrician.

Yes you can step down voltage from 9v to 5v.

But keep in mind amps can fry a board to. Make sure you know the milliamps of the board requirements, and before attatching any power install an inline fuse installed between the board and whatever you decide to stepdown the voltage with, rated a little above the milliamp boards requirements, This will save headaches and wallet later if something goes wrong.

I am not famaliar with what kind of stepdown transformers are available for a micro board, but if available, this is a better way to go than potentiometer. The current is more steady and transformers are built for tougher duty than potentiometers. Just a suggestion. Good luck with your project Swinson.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I've been looking at the PDF you Pm'd me and This gives what Milli Amps the power on the board is used to using.

It is possible to take this to 1A by using a Y cable if additional power is needed for either
    the USB host port or an expansion card. Figure 2 shows and example of the Y-Cable for
    the USB.
    This cable might be useful for what you are trying to do.

The BeagleBoard requires a single minAB to USB A cable or as mentioned a Y-Cable
    can be used if needed. The BeagleBoard requires a single minAB to USB A cable or as mentioned a Y-Cable
    can be used if needed. There is an option to provide external power to the BeagleBoard
    using a 5V DC supply and is discussed later in this section.
    I figure this is the key stattement on the PDF Doc.

Power will be supplied via the USB OTG connector and if a need arises for additional
    power, such as when a board is added to the expansion connectors, a larger wall supply
    5V can be plugged into the optional power jack. When the wall supply is plugged in, it
    will remove the power path from the USB connector and will be the power source for the
    whole board. The power supply is not provided with the BeagleBoard.
    When using the USB OTG port in the host mode, the DC supply must be connected as
    the USB port will be used to provide limited power to the hub at a maximum of 100mA,
    so a hub must be powered. The 100mA is not impacted by having a higher amperage
    supply plugged into the DC power jack. The 100mA is a function of the OTG port itself.
    WARNING: 5V
    DO NOT PLUG IN ANYTHING BUT TO THE DC
    CONNECTOR OR THE BOARD WILL BE DAMAGED!
    Make sure the DC supply is regulated and a clean supply.
    5.19 Electrical Specifications (I hope I don't get into trouble for posting this screenshot) From this table 100 milliamps is the limit for external power supply hookup

Screenshot-Microsoft Word - BeagleII_SRM_B6_0_1.doc (BBSRM_latest.pdf).png

The power supply must have a 2.1mm I.D x 5.5mm O.D. x 9.5mm and can be either
    straight or right angle. Connecting anything other than 5V will result in damage to the
    board.
    Nuff said.

Linux Guru
    After looking some more through your document, I saw this.

The supply must be at least 500mA with a maximum of 2A.
    So you should be fine with any transformer whos max output is 2 amps. In other words, use a 9 volt battery, hooked up to primary windings side of a dc stepdown transformer that puts out a steady 5 volts out of secondary winding leads with a max current/amperage rating of 2 amps. Then on secondary winding leads start with a 1 amp inline fuse for safety since board starts at 500 ma and goes up to 2 amps when periphial hardware demands it, ( I have no idea what your load requirements will be on this project and me being in Texas and you being where you are makes this doubly difficult), so 1 amp is a halfway point between 500 ma and 2 A.

The
    supply must have a 2.1mm center hot connector with a 5.5mm outside diameter.
    soldered to the inline fuse in series with the secondary windings of transformer.

Well I have found all of the parts for this device. except the battery and I should have it by the end of the week. Here is a list of every thing we still need:

An OS

A web site

and customers

Ill will set you the web site but I really need help with the OS. Also If yall can make suggestions for the name of the device that would be great!

Swinson

Linux Newbie
    I plan to use Gentoo, which easily goes to ARM. Ubuntu and Angstrom have both already been used on the Beagle, though.

board- BeagleBoard.org - default

bluetooth- USB Bluetooth Adapter | USB Bluetooth Dongle for Mac & Windows, DBT-120

USB- CableMax Ultra Mini 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub for NoteBook/Laptop Use CA4H4M LOW PRICE $12.96

SATA- Newegg.com - VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers

SD 2g card - Amazon.com: SanDisk 2 GB SD Memory Card ( SDSDB-2048-A11, Retail Package): Electronics

Power - (still waiting for Circuitco to email back all the power info)

screen - (I'm not going to worry about getting a touch screen working until we have an OS working with all of our parts.)

Linux Guru
    Unit Name could be Bull Pup since its a beagle based system.

Mint Linux /if it will run on it /could be the full blown O/S.

Puppy Dingo or Mepis AntiX or even NimbleX 2008 if you need minimal O/S.

Just some ideas for distro. Don't know what you are shooting for though.

Well for the distro I was thinking we have a basic logon then when it opens up it will give you a list of devices (flash drives, a portable hard drive, and a SATA hard drive) you will be able to click a device and view all of the files. If they are ppt or docs you will be able to open and edit. If you click and hold a file you will be able to drag it to a bluetooth icon and send it to other devices. we should also have some tools like a calc and what not also setting you can change on the device.

Swinson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast