Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I am currently working on taking a hard drive and putting a screen on it. The basic idea is so you will be able to view, edit, zip and unzip ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A little help required

I am currently working on taking a hard drive and putting a screen on it. The basic idea is so you will be able to view, edit, zip and unzip files without having a computer right there. Kind of like a table of contents. I also plan to add blue tooth capability to the device so you can send files between devices and computers. I am still working on finding all of the hardware but if you are interested I need some programmers to help port a Linux kernel and add features like word processing, a power point reader, and a file compressor. Please post if you would like to help.

Swinson

your trying to run all these functions without a processsor? unzip files, power point reader? all without a processor? if im misunderstanding you, what do you mean by a hard drive? JUST a hard-drive, or are you referring to a hard-drive+processsor etc.

Honestly this would not be possible without a possessor. It will have a screen, a hard drive, a bluetooth module, and a possessor. I think I have the screen picked out, the hard drive will be a standard SATA, I have looked into a few bluetooth modules, and I honestly have no idea what i need to get as far as a possessor. (Please let me know if you know of a good one.)

Swinson

Linux Newbie
    I'm making a fun little 'toy' based on the Beagle Board. Also, there is Gumstix and several embedded boards like Micro/PicoITX (which are basically very small motherboards --they're sold plenty of places, so sorry for no link).
    If these are still too much, pretty much your best bet is to make a simple board design; you can have just an ARM processor and memory to hold your OS, plus connections, then pay someone like SparkFun to build it for you.
    Oh, and although Gumstix and the Beagle do not have SATA or PATA connectors, there's always USB adaptors ^,^

thanks ill look into those things.

Is there a way I can edit my first post to add this list and update when I find compatible parts.

Parts-

Beagle Board - $150

Apacer 2GB 60X Secure Digital (SD) Memory Card - $7

USB ports - Im getting something custom made - $3-10

Screen - (still looking in to prices and the best size)

Bluetooth - $17 USB

Case - (This will not be a priority until the hardware is put together and the firmware is running)

Power supply - (I cant find a rechargeable 5v battery)

Can it also be 6v? If that's the case you can use a parallel series of 4 AA batteries. If you take rechargeable, you have the same effect. Here is what I mean:
    Code:
    +                      -
    |---[AA][AA][AA][AA]---|
    |---[AA][AA][AA][AA]---|
    |---[AA][AA][AA][AA]---|
    This is because when you put power sources in series the voltage can be added up, however, when you do them parallel you won't have extra voltage, and if I am right an AA battery is 1.5V so 4*1.5V = 6V. Note that you can only add voltage up, if all the parallels have the same amount of power sources, otherwise there would be a small difference (which can be calculated, but it's more difficult).

By the way, the explanation is for science n00bs.

edit:
    Is there a way I can edit my first post to add this list and update when I find compatible parts.
    Click Edit on your post while you are signed in.

The beagle board requires a 5v DC current. Since these cost about 150 each I think its better if there is no chance to fry the board.

Swinson

The edit opp. is gone on my first few posts.

Do 3 of them = 4.5V, it's .5V less, but it won't fry your system.

I could do thar or I could hook up a 9v to a potentiometer and adjust it to 5v

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast