Find the answer to your Linux question:
I compiled a kernel following this guide How To Compile A Kernel - The Ubuntu Way - Page 2 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials I'm left with two ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Want to make sure I have something right...

I compiled a kernel following this guide How To Compile A Kernel - The Ubuntu Way - Page 2 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

I'm left with two .deb packages I can use to install with. What I'm wondering, is if I can use them on an older Ubuntu distribution than the one I compiled the kernel on and avoid any problems.

I'm reasonably sure that it would come down to what was enabled in the kernel configuration, and if I'm going from newer to older, than that would probably just mean some features that aren't even used by the distribution would be enabled correct?

In any case, I had to upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 because my motherboard wasn't doing too great with 8.04's default kernel, but I can't live without KDE3, so I'm going to go back to 8.04 and install the 2.6.28 kernel I just compiled. Does this sound like an all right plan?

Linux User
    the only potential problem is if the version of glibc in 8.10 is different to the one in 8.04, you can occassionally get weird errors when you run a kernel on a different C library to that it was compiled on... give it a try though, at the very least you should be able to boot into 8.04 and compile with it's C libraries; either with the new kernel or the standard one.