Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello friends, As part of my college project we have to write USB device drivers in linux. The last week was spent in reading an Axelson's USB Complete and reading ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB driver development

hello friends,

As part of my college project we have to write USB device drivers in linux.
    The last week was spent in reading an Axelson's USB Complete and reading tutorials on USB driver development from various online sources.

so by now i have a good idea of the USB interface, how the host communicates and types of transfers and the skeleton of a USB driver.

the problem is as I am relatively new to linux I am not fully aware of how to write, build and install a device driver. I am simultaneously reading the third edition of writing a device driver from Oreilly Publications.

If I just open gedit and write some C program, how would that file qualify as a device driver at all?

also the device for which we have to write a device driver is not known to us yet. We have to initially present a small program that can communicate that is transfer a few bytes IN and OUT.

I was just thinking:

I have a 2 GB transcend pendrive. can i write some device driver which enables me to store say the output of a C program on the pendrive each time I execute the C program ??

friends please help me out......

Try reading this article it should give you a starting point

The Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide

Welcome to the forums