Find the answer to your Linux question:
...probably not but I have recompiled my kernel nine times in the last two days trying to get framebuffer, vesafb and bootsplash all working together. The tutorials and how to's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

World record on recompiles?

...probably not but I have recompiled my kernel nine times in the last two days trying to get framebuffer, vesafb and bootsplash all working together. The tutorials and how to's for this are confusing and "all over the place" in what is needed, made even more difficult by the fact that the now defunct bootsplash.org had directions that simply did not work. The whole framebuffer - bootsplash deal as I've known it is no longer maintained in favour of upstart "Splashy." My last recompile was the result of having defiled my 2.6.28 kernel with the last bootsplash kernel patch which gave errors out the wazoo. I had to start with a new vanilla kernel with my old .config. Luckily, kernel compiles in CRUX are really simple so the pain was eased somewhat, but I'd really rather not see another menuconfig for a long while....
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru
    All for a bootsplash? Man that's dedication

I actually haven't recompiled in about two years. I must do it again just so I don't forget how!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    All for a bootsplash?
    Well... not entirely. CRUX doesn't come with framebuffer(s) enabled by default so that was my main goal is to have it working. I guess I had the idea that if bootsplash was functional, then I'd learn something in the process. I'm bad about not recognising where the point of diminishing returns resides. When I was a boy, my grandfather used to say about me... "He'd take on hell with a bucket of water."
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here