Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to modify an existing Linux Kernel to work across multiple cores on a new chip (a kernel already exists for the single core version of the chip). This ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting Started

I need to modify an existing Linux Kernel to work across multiple cores on a new chip (a kernel already exists for the single core version of the chip). This would involve changing the memory management and scheduler, etc. I have a fairly good understanding of OS principles (I wrote my own OS back in university), but am not familiar with the inner workings of Linux.

I was wondering if someone could suggest some resources (books, websites, other reading materials), which could get me started.

John

This is pretty straightforward, if you have the kernel source installed for the kernel you are running, just go into the source folder, and run make menuconfig, this will bring up a menu where you can easily enable more CPU's and anything else.

If you want to change a running kernel to add more CPU,that is not possible, you have to rebuild it from source.

Just Joined!
    I don't think it will be that simple -- the scheduler will have to be modified to be realtime as well (this is for an embedded system), and I will be required to do some custom changes (limit the priority of user apps, etc). Once done, I need to support it.

Soo... I need to understand the inner workings of the Linux Core, and I'm looking for some resources to help me get there. It would also be nice to understand from purely an interest sake as well

Thanks,

John

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I think the best place is still to look in the source, and look at the options available when compiling the kernel, you will probably find most of the things you need are in there. There are options specifically designed for embedded linux. Another place is KernelTrap.

Just Joined!
    Is there a book that describes the inner workings of Linux??? I will end up looking at the code in detail later on, but for now I need a higher level view of how Linux works, so that I know what parts of the source I need to look at.

Thanks

John

Linux Online - Free Online Books

google will be vital to your linux survival