Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to linux and I am using ubuntu (kernel version: 2.6.27-7-generic) at the moment. I want to recomile the kernel to 2.4.32. But when i try the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help with make bzImage

Hi, I am new to linux and I am using ubuntu (kernel version: 2.6.27-7-generic) at the moment. I want to recomile the kernel to 2.4.32. But when i try the command 'make bzImage' i get the following error. Can someone please help me with this. Thanks in advance.

Code:
    root@hasantha-laptop:/usr/src/linux-2.4.32# make bzImage
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -fno-unit-at-a-time   -DKBUILD_BASENAME=main -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
    In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/prefetch.h:13,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/list.h:6,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/wait.h:14,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/fs.h:12,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/capability.h:17,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/sched.h:9,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/mm.h:4,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/slab.h:14,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/proc_fs.h:5,
                     from init/main.c:15:
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/asm/processor.h:75: error: array type has incomplete element type
    In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/fs.h:322,
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp_fs_i.h:26: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp_fs_i.h:27: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8[6]‚
    In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp_mount.h:12,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp_fs_sb.h:12,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/fs.h:733,
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:24: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:25: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:26: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:27: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:28: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:29: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8[]‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:37: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:38: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:39: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:40: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:41: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:42: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:43: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8[]‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:137: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:138: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8[256]‚
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/ncp.h:174: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚__u8‚
    In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/asm/smp.h:17,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/smp.h:14,
                     from /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/linux/sched.h:23,
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/asm/mpspec.h:87: warning: ‚packed‚ attribute ignored for field of type ‚unsigned char[6]‚
    init/main.c: In function ‚start_kernel‚:
    init/main.c:367: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
    make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
    root@hasantha-laptop:/usr/src/linux-2.4.32#

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by naleen View Post
    Hi, I am new to linux....I want to recomile the kernel to 2.4.32.

Wouldn't you like to slice and dice some text files or something? We got lots of really nice desktops, you wanna look at them for a while?...No....we're jumping right into the kernel, eh? Did you back up your data?
    Code:
    root@hasantha-laptop:/usr/src/linux-2.4.32# make bzImage
    ...[sr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/asm/processor.h:75: error: array type has incomplete element type
    On line 75 of /usr/bippity/boppity/boo/processor.h the compiler thinks there is an array that wasn't completely defined before it was declared. Since it's really unlikely the kernel programmer did that, it's probably a missing or corrupt code page. You see it happening over an over in different files and then the wheels fall off the cart.
    Code:
    init/main.c:367: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
    make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
    root@hasantha-laptop:/usr/src/linux-2.4.32#
    The accumulated affect of the error.
    I'd start by making sure I summed the kernel download and got a clean package.
    The I'd look at the kernel make script and see if the $PATH variable made sense on my system. Go through the script looking for
    Code:
     #!
    or
    Code:
     #include
    . After the symbols there is a path to a file name, or just a file name. It probably ends in an .h. See if those files exist. See if it's on the config $PATH.

Just Joined!
    Why on earth do you want to downgrade to 2.4.x kernel series?