Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hallo, i'm trying to install a Linux Distro on my Amillo Xa2528 Laptop, but non work with my dvd-drive, i've searched a lot of forumm and there are a lot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fix for Amillo Xa2528 Laptop

Hallo,

i'm trying to install a Linux Distro on my Amillo Xa2528 Laptop, but non work with my dvd-drive, i've searched a lot of forumm and there are a lot of people with the same problem.

Someone send me a link how to to fix it be i don't understand it, it has to do with the kernel

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachmen...48&action=view

Anyone ???

Thanx

Marksken

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The link is to a patch file for the kernel. This is not something I would suggest that someone of your limited experience do. Heck, I have a number of years of Linux experience, and I do some kernel module programming, but I wouldn't bother myself unless I had a couple of weeks straight-time to deal with it. Which distribution/version of Linux are you trying to install on your laptop? There may be ones better suited to your needs.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    The problem is that there is non that works with my cd/dvd-drive, so i can not boot a live-cd or install from a cd/dvd, install over the net goes but the cd/dvd-drive does not work except with knoppix 6

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by marksken View Post
    The problem is that there is non that works with my cd/dvd-drive, so i can not boot a live-cd or install from a cd/dvd, install over the net goes but the cd/dvd-drive does not work except with knoppix 6
    The fact that it won't boot a live-cd indicates that your system BIOS is not configured properly. You need to go into the BIOS and enable booting from CD, then make it the first device to boot from. Try that.

One last thing is that if your system supports booting from USB, you can create a liveUSB on a pendrive and boot/install the system that way. Get Unetbootin: SourceForge.net: UNetbootin, Universal Netboot Installer
    Running Unetbootin in Windows, install the distribution of your choice on your pendrive. You should then be able to boot and install Linux from that just like a liveCD.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I tried that it does not work, the only way to install is to use installinux cd but after installation of any distro the dvd-drive does not work it a know problem with this model of laptop the amilo xa2528 the only solution i found on the net is the one i mention on the my first post