Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I have two running processes A and B. After some time, process B stops (SIGSTOP) the process A. Now, process B wants to determine that - " when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to a detect process is running in system call or not?

Hello All,

I have two running processes A and B. After some time, process B stops (SIGSTOP) the process A.

Now, process B wants to determine that - " when the process A was stopped (SIGSTOP), was it (process A) executing some system call or not? "

And if the process A was in system call, then in which system call was it executing?

Remember : process B is working via kernel-module.

Thank you and wishing your reply...

from,
    Nisarg

Exclamation

Just guessing here,may be generate a core dump of process and find whether the process was in kernel mode or not using the dump.
    another guess,time command provides user time and system time --- is possible to retrieve something from there?

no more guesses....I hope someone comes with better reply than this
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    get the stack trace of the process A
    and scan it.
    you can see whether process was in kernel mode :
    and if it was then get the symbol (of course which was must be telling which system call you were in)