Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
help me out . just tell me how to get a stable kernel. each time i try with a version from kernel .org and compiles some errors pops up. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy help me!

help me out .
    just tell me how to get a stable kernel.
    each time i try with a version from kernel .org and compiles some errors pops up.
    i even tried to get egcs but failed to compile that even !!!!!!
    i ve done it on different systems and obviously its not my gcc that needs fixing .

Can u post the error message and kernel version?

I have tried it few times,
    gET iT i sAY .giis - ext3 File Undelete Tool
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    got it alright now . just missed two files here and there

Just Joined!
    well now i got a new problem.
    i'm trying to cimpile a 1.0 version kernel . i get errors stating unable to find class DREG while reloading asm . these errors are present in the lines where i use inline asmand use dx as clobbered register. DREGS could change to to CREGS if i use cx as clobbers in the asm. is it something to do with my gcc????????? or is it the code?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What system, compiler, kernel, target system are you using/building? You don't provide anywhere near enough information to help you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    system : i use suse linux desktop 10on a intel dual core proccessor
    compiler : its gcc 4.1.0
    target system is i386

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by shivanth View Post
    well now i got a new problem.
    i'm trying to cimpile a 1.0 version kernel . i get errors stating unable to find class DREG while reloading asm . these errors are present in the lines where i use inline asmand use dx as clobbered register. DREGS could change to to CREGS if i use cx as clobbers in the asm. is it something to do with my gcc????????? or is it the code?
    I seem to have these problems when I use a cimpiler as well, which is why I try to find a compiler to use! Sorry - couldn't help myself... silly moment passing...

Quote Originally Posted by shivanth View Post
    system : i use suse linux desktop 10on a intel dual core proccessor
    compiler : its gcc 4.1.0
    target system is i386
    Which version of the kernel are you building? Also, I presume you have read and followed the building instructions found on the kernel.org web site? If this is a "stable" version of the kernel, then I doubt very much that the code is incorrect, unless you are trying to build some deprecated/obsolete, experimental, or unstable modules. Then, all bets are off. Also, make sure your compiler is at least up to the version that kernel.org recommends for the kernel you are building. The gcc v4.1.0 is not TOO out of date - my CentOS/RHEL 5.3 compiler is at 4.1.2. In any case, if they are using the dx registers instead of the cx registers, I would assume there is a good reason for it. Unfortunately, I haven't done any x86 assembly programming for about 15 years, before the Pentium was released, so my knowledge base is waayyy out of date in that department.

Just Joined!
    Sorry for my cimpiling trouble .as i told i m building a 1.0 kernel there s no build instructions there . just ran the config and make . it was as simple as tat . hav u ever tried this version . its too obsolete , but tot it would be good to start from the base

What do you mean by a v1.0 kernel? On the kernel.org and The Linux Documentation Project web sites there are docs & tutorials on building Linux kernels.

Just Joined!
    v 1.0 kernel i obtained from the v1.0 directory in the /pub/linux/kernel repository. and i was unable to find one document on building this version . i'll be helped if you could give me a link for tat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast