Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I had installed Fedora Core 1 in my server machine (apparently a older version). When I ran the live update for patches, I was asked whether to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X is not starting in two kernels

Hi All,

I had installed Fedora Core 1 in my server machine (apparently a older version). When I ran the live update for patches, I was asked whether to install a certain glibc package to which I agreed. After the process was over, I rebooted the machine to find that I have two kernels in the grub and that on both of these X is not starting. startx is not working. I am relatively new to linux. Can you please let me know if there is a way to recover the system from all the recent patches and kernels. I wish to return to my old version and then more carefully apply the new patches.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
    Balaji.

Linux Engineer
    chances are fedora upgraded your kernel, whether you selected it manually or it's in some setting.

fedora is really bad with kernel updating in up2date - i've never seen it work successfully.

a couple things need to be asked first - 1) what are all of your options at boot? 2) what option worked previously? and 3) what are the errors you get trying to start X?

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the reply. Sorry that I could not respond immediately.

1. I am having two kernels listed at the grub.
    kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl on an i686
    kernel 2.4.11-1.2119.nptl on an i686

On taking each it displays the following message.

Init:Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.

However I am able to login from the command line.

2. I had FC1 installed with kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl I was able to use the x system properly.

3. When I try StartX I get the following message.

Xauth: error while loading shared libraries: libxmuu.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I reckon that the above said library is missing, but I dont know how to get this library and install it in the system. Can you please help with some info on this.

Regards.
    Balaji.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close