Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I am mentioning a result which might provide you a clue,I think. I gave the following instruction : fsck -n /dev/sda3 fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008 ) e2fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008 ) Warning ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A clue???

I am mentioning a result which might provide you a clue,I think. I gave the following instruction :
    fsck -n /dev/sda3

fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008 )
    e2fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008 )
    Warning ! /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD800JD-60L_WD-WMAM9P654246-part3 is mounted

warning : skipping journal recovery because doing a read only filesystem check.

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD800JD-60L_WD-WMAM9P654246-part3 : clean, 850/3442096 files, 288844/13767705 blocks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NewinLinux View Post
    I decided to follow this link and understood everything written there.
    I never tried to resize my partition so far..though have some plans to experiment with it coming days.

here is an overview of my system:
    filesystem size used avail use% mounted on
    /dev/sda2 20G 5.1G 14G 28% /
    udev 248M 92K 248M 1% /dev
    /dev/sda3 52G 285M 49G 1% /home
    You have nearly 80GB HDD and
    root has 5 GB used out of 20
    and home has 52 GB and used just 285M

Then most safely you can backup/copy your entires /home (sda3 ) in sda2 and then
    create 2 new partition - one as home and another as new root file system for your custom kernel.

when I did,
    umount /dev/sda3

then I got following result :
    umount : /home: device is busy
    umount : /home: device is busy
    that's most likely expected error b'coz it's being used by you..since you are already logged into the machine. Which mounts both / and /home.

how to unmount it...
    Risky options:
    First Backup your /home files to sda2 and
    Make sure you have Installation CD's and backup every file you edit. so that you can recover the system if something goes wrong.

1)Edit /etc/fstab and remove or comment the entry to /home ...else check whether it's possible to add no auto mount to it.

2)If editing /etc/fstab ,goes wrong, then use rescue mode to restore the system.
    Then use fdisk to (d) delete the required partition (sda3) and re-create (e2fsck) new partitions.

Even then once you have new root file system, you would still need to add configuration files and others necessary tools.I believe reading LFS Project Homepage will provide more details.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Smile

I am mentioning a result which might provide you a clue,I think. I gave the following instruction :
    fsck -n /dev/sda3

fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008 )
    e2fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008 )
    Warning ! /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD800JD-60L_WD-WMAM9P654246-part3 is mounted

warning : skipping journal recovery because doing a read only filesystem check.

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD800JD-60L_WD-WMAM9P654246-part3 : clean, 850/3442096 files, 288844/13767705 blocks
    man fsck says this

-n For some filesystem-specific checkers, the -n option will cause the fs-specific fsck to avoid attempting to repair any prob-
    lems, but simply report such problems to stdout. This is however not true for all filesystem-specific checkers
    It checks for errors and will not create new partition .

Disclaimer: THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR WHATEVER I MENTIONED IN PREVIOUS TWO POST .
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Disclaimer: THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR WHATEVER I MENTIONED IN PREVIOUS TWO POST .
    No man...I have a great trust in you.I have read about your contribution in something called GIIS

Just Joined!
    I commented that entry in /etc/fstab and then my system started showing errors when I rebooted .It was telling something about $HOME.dmrc and also told that it cannot find /home. Then I rescued it by editing again /etc/fstab in rescue mode.

Now, as suggested by you,I am going to try removing it by fdisk -d, and creating /home and a new partition.Is there any special thing which I should keep in mind to avoid crashing ?

Smile

Before deleting it,check out whether /etc/fstab with no auto /home mount works are not.

If that also didn't work,then list down all your partition using
    fdisk -l /dev/sda
    And then delete the appropriate partition ( deleting partition with correct partition number - in your case it seems like 3 ),make sure you got backup of /home before doing this and DO NOT delete all your partition,

Then create two new partitions, use one as your /home for older data.
    Use the other as root file system and copy appropriate configuration files and utilities.(refer LFS -- it's long process )
    -----

Exclamation

This is one of my requirements for my university project
    It's really interesting University project for explore the system All the best
    -----

Just Joined!

Battle half won !

Hi Lakshmipathi !
    Today I tried everything you told and what other sources on internet told.My system gave many errors and crashed (Forgive me, I am still a noob )
    Then I decided something new.I reinstalled OpenSuSE and while reinstalling,I tried to save some space for future use while partitioning the disk by decreasing the default size of the /home (sda3) partition.Then after logging in, I created a new partition using fdisk and this became /dev/sda4 . Then I made ext2 filesystem on it using mke2fs and mounted it on /mnt/point1 (point1 directory was created by me in /mnt). Then I modified the /etc/fstab file and rebooted. It was successful !!!!!!!!
    Now I have a new challenge : How to make it a root directory for my new custom kernel???? Please help

Smile

gald you are getting closer..
    So now you have new partition (sda4) along with your custom
    kernel .

To create new root file system- you need to copy few files into the root fs) -
    you can either check out the complete
    Linux from Scratch link or this one http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk- HOWTO/buildroot.html (this one link looks smaller than previous one )
    -----

Just Joined!

Maybe I am missing the point...

But you have a few options available to you (if this is for a university project).

Have you thought of using virtualisation such as Xen? Or even User Mode Linux (UML), and running the kernel after the "real" system has booted up, you could then quite easily use a file as disk storage, and not worry about messing anything up.

If you wanted to achieve what you stated at first though, why not just create a initrd disk, that mounts the root filesystem, mounts the loopback filesystem then chroots and calls the init on there, similar to what many initrds do, i am unsure however, how easy this should be to achieve as I have not done anything like it.

Personally, I would just go the Virtualisation route.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast