Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Oh...sorry for this late reply.I did not have access to the Linux system due to Saturday and Sunday.Today I am going to do these things and report back in this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Oh...sorry for this late reply.I did not have access to the Linux system due to Saturday and Sunday.Today I am going to do these things and report back in this forum.Thank you for the support and patience

Just Joined!

Exclamation The battle of climax

Hi !
    This is the third day of my struggle with root file system.I read LFS.I tried to populate the new filesystem with all the necessary directories and files.Since I saw that most of the files are necessary for booting,I copied everything of the original system in the newly created file system including even the root directory.

Now I have understood that I have messed up the situation.There is no way I can find how to make a root file system for my new kernel and boot it.I am sitting here staring at my computer,not knowing what to do now.
    Please help

Just Joined!

Exclamation stating the problem in short

I am again stating the remaining part of problem in short(because it has been 3 pages and difficult to track for new people reading the thread) :

I am using OpenSuSE 11.0 . I have built a custom kernel(2.6.25.5-1.1) and I have to boot it with a new root file system.I have created a separate partition (in this case /dev/sda4) and made ext2 filesystem and mounted it on a mount point(/mnt/point1 in this case). I also have populated the new file system with necessary directories like /dev,/bin,/proc etc...(I just copied them fully from the original system.Is it correct to do so?)

But the major problem is how to boot the custom kernel with newly created file system as root? (i.e. When the kernel boots, "/" should not be root,instead, the root should be located in /mnt/point1/(new root???))

Just Joined!

Unhappy nobody replied???????

No reply ?

Smile

Sorry the delay.
    I read LFS.I tried to populate the new filesystem
    LFS will take some time to build the system. I spend couple of days on it and then messed up with something
    somewhere ..so dropped that attempt -- though i'll try that again soon

I would suggest this way - Check out doc from tldp
    Building a root filesystem

Embedded Linux Howto: Creating a root file system

Though i would agree with Touchtecservers - on using chroot+ virutalization method
    -i guess that would be complex (i may be wrong here)

So give a try with tldp doc.

All the best
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    When you create a newfilesystem from an old one - do not use "copy". Rather use tar, as that will keep the "special files" (device nodes etc) as they are, and not attempt to "copy" them as files.

So you created a new partition /dev/sda4? Just add a new line to your bootloader below the current one, and replace the root= part with root=/dev/sda4

Just Joined!
    Hi !
    Can you explain about this tar thing? I mean how to populate directories using tar?
    Here is what I got from internet :
    "This manual page documents the GNU version of tar, an archiving program designed to store and extract files from an archive file known as a tarfile. A tarfile may be made on a tape drive, however, it is also common to write a tarfile to a normal file."
    But I can't make out the head or tail of it as to how can it be used for copying the files.

Just Joined!

Some observations

I know it is very hard to guide someone who is sitting far away.So, I am giving you some observations so that you might get any hint.

1. If I put kernel=/mnt/point1/boot/bzImage (Note : /dev/sda4 is mounted on /mnt/point1) it shows error 15 : file not found

2.If I put kernel=/boot/bzImage I get a completely blank screen.

3.I have 2 copies of menu.lst,one in /boot/grub and the other in /mnt/point1/boot/grub . But, it seems that only the one in /boot/grub is playing the role,because the system responds to changes in that file only. The file in /mnt/point1/boot/grub is useless.

4. Whether I put root=device id or root=/dev/sda4, the conditions remain same as points 1 and 2 mentioned above.

Now, what other details should I provide?

Smile

tar is similar to winzip in windows.(I didn't go through the two links which mentioned earlier.- Just googled it)

If I put kernel=/mnt/point1/boot/bzImage (Note : /dev/sda4 is mounted on /mnt/point1) it shows error 15 : file not found
    I don't think,specifing a mounted directory as root fs will work.

If I put kernel=/boot/bzImage I get a completely blank screen
    no idea about error message.
    There can be only one menu.lst will be respond to the changes.

If you want you can add new entries into working menu.lst file.
    (say copy required entries from /mnt/point1/boot/grub and append them to
    /boot/grub/menu.lst file)

Now when you reboot you will see both grub's entries.

Whether I put root=device id or root=/dev/sda4
    I would prefer using device number in menu.lst
    ex: root=/dev/sda4

I assume basic requirement to create a new root fs ,
    you need to copy configuration files (if you are copying from existing files - you needed to edit /etc/fstab and others files) and binary in appropriate directories.

Then edit the menu.lst to reboot machine with new kernel.

I would strongly suggest you to drop a mail on
    https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/ext3-users

ext3 user list.

Surely you will get more details.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!

Exclamation Started LFS

Hi friends,
    I thank you for the help you have given in my learning process of Linux. In spite of all this, however hard I try, the trouble remains unchanged.
    So, I have decided to go deeper in Linux and when I gain enough knowledge, I will resume the fight with my problem.This is why I have started making LFS. I am using LFS 6.4 . Till now, I have come across some errors while building(the book is not exhaustive and accurate) and have successfully eliminated those errors,but I feel that I may need your help again in this.
    Have you got any suggestions for me?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast