Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Suggestion would be -i found LFS is pretty long and time consuming stuff ,so keep going.... I Hope you dropped mail on above ext3 user forums. Again All the best...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile

Suggestion would be -i found LFS is pretty long and time consuming stuff ,so keep going....
    I Hope you dropped mail on above ext3 user forums.

Again All the best
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Hi ! I am facing terrible errors in LFS,but I think I will keep trying.
    Alongside, I am trying the original problem also. Here is a new problem which arose.
    I copied all the necessary directories using "tar" into /mnt/point1 (just to remind,this is partition /dev/sda4) .Then I mentioned the location of new kernel and new root in menu.lst of grub.When I boot, I get the following error :

root(hd0,3)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
    kernel /mnt/point1/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae root=/dev/sda4 vga=0x317

error 15 : File not found

I tried several combinations of paths in menu.lst, but each time, I got the same error. I even put root=the device id of sda4 partition,but nothing changed. It should be noted that I edited both the menu.lst files present in the original system and in my new filesystem.

What is wrong here??

root(hd0,3)
    above refers to sda4 --ok

Filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
    this is strange,how this line entered grub.conf file.

kernel /mnt/point1/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae root=/dev/sda4 vga=0x317
    is shoud be something like

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae root=/dev/sda4 vga=0x317
    initrd /boot/initrd

i guess there is no need to /mnt/point1 as you are using new root fs which your sda4.
    If you have initrd file add them in grub config. file

This page simple info ..about grub
    Complete Dose of Linux Poison: /etc/grub.conf explained
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!

Arrow a little progress

Hi !
    Sorry for posting here late. I did exactly what you told in the last post.But, this time, I put my original SuSE kernel and its initrd image in place of the new kernel. As a result, the system booted successfully and the new partition was root this time
    But, there was only command line in place of ddesktop,because there is no provision of desktop in the new partition.

But when I replace the original kernel with the new kernel, and try to boot, I get a completely blank screen.How to resolve this problem?

There is one more problem.I had populated the new filesystem with /dev, /bin, /proc ...etc directories by copying with the help of "tar". All the directories except /usr were untared correctly. But when I tried to untar the /usr directory in the new filesystem, it started giving errors like " /usr/include/....something... no such file or directory " This is why many files of /usr were not copied and as a result, I was not able to use gcc when I booted into the system with new root as mentioned earlier in this post. How can I copy /usr without any error?

Smile

Are you saying , your new custom root file system works well with SuSE kernel and but it's not
    working with Custom kernel which you complied ?

If so then - i guess some thing might be wrong in Customized new kernel--- you may have missed
    some modules?

Have you tried booting your Custom kernel with Original root File system ..

Just try these combination and post the output
    (
    -->Custom = for kernel/roofs you have created.
    -->original = Kernel/ root fs that already installed in your system and works fine.
    )

Original kernel + Original root fs (must be working)
    Original kernel + Custom rootfs (It seems like working as you pointed by you)

Custom kernel + original root fs (need to verify)
    Custom kernel + custom root fs (needed output)

post errors,if any.
    -----

Just Joined!
    Hi ! here is the output:

Original kernel + Original root fs = working

Original kernel + Custom rootfs= working

Custom kernel + original root fs=working***

Custom kernel + custom root fs= totally blank screen without any error

***NOTE: In this case, I used no initrd file,because the custom kernel has no provision for modules. I simply put root(hd0,1) kernel=/boot/bzImage root=*copy and pasted the mentioned device id of /dev/sda2 as written in the menu.lst file by default of the original system* Everything worked fine and I felt as if I am working in the original system.

Quote Originally Posted by NewinLinux View Post
    Hi ! here is the output:

Original kernel + Original root fs = working

Original kernel + Custom rootfs= working

Custom kernel + original root fs=working***

Custom kernel + custom root fs= totally blank screen without any error
    Can you post the menu.lst of all these four ?
    -----

Just Joined!
    Hi ! I was away in this 3 day's holiday.Today I will post the menu.lst of all 4 conditions. It will take time because that linux system is not connected to internet or LAN,so, I will have to copy it in notebook and type here again.

Just Joined!
    Hi !
    I am sorry that I did not post here earlier.I was depressed with the failures so, I decided to take a break.But now I am back with new vigor.I have started again with LFS and troubleshooted the earlier problems.But new problems arose and I am fighting them with all I have got. I have posted the problem in "Newbie" section here :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...tml#post698205

I hope to get your help.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NewinLinux View Post
    I was depressed with the failures so, I decided to take a break.
    Yes,that's good to take break and start freshly again.
    It took around 2/3 months for me to install xmms on my Fedora core 2 and shown it prouldly to (Windows) my Hostel roommates

But now I am back with new vigor.
    Great and All the best..keep trying ...

I hope to get your help.
    Sure,I'll try my level best to help you
    -----

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast