Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Hi everyone, I am using OpenSuSE 9 (the kernel is 2.6.25.5-1.1). I had to make a custom kernel.So,I did the following after reading from various places: 1.make gconfig (then i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Booting a custom kernel in a new file system

Hi everyone,
    I am using OpenSuSE 9 (the kernel is 2.6.25.5-1.1). I had to make a custom kernel.So,I did the following after reading from various places:
    1.make gconfig (then i customized the kernel using various options)
    2.make (the bzImage was formed)
    3.then I transfered this BzImage to /boot directory
    4.Then I opened menu.lst file of GRUB and added title and kernel=/boot/bzImage (I did not mention anything about initrd)

After this,I rebooted and loaded the new kernel successfully !

Now the new challenge is to make a separate filesystem for this custom kernel. I tried fdisk, but it told there is no space. Then I thought to make a partition using loopback device.I made an ext3 filesystem and mounted it on /mnt/point1 .But, after I reboot,this filesystem vanished ! I was told that it was due to temporary mount.Then I tried editing /etc/fstab file and after this,I made filesystem again and rebooted. My system crashed due to it.It told it could not find such filesystem !
    Please tell me what to do now.I want a new filesys for my custom kernel
    Thanks.

Exclamation

Welcome to LF and glad to hear your custom kernel is working fine.

I haven't tried using loop device as my root file system... I believe you might be interested in following site.

The Loopback Root Filesystem HOWTO: Introduction
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Thanks Lakshmipathi, I will follow that document and tell you the result. But meanwhile , please tell me is there another way to create a separate file system for my custom kernel. It should be noted that I cannot partition my system using fdisk because there is no space !

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NewinLinux View Post
    But meanwhile , please tell me is there another way to create a separate file system for my custom kernel. It should be noted that I cannot partition my system using fdisk because there is no space !
    As far i'm concerned possible options are
    1)if your current File System based on LVM,then you could possible resize your paritions.
    (Though there is ext2/3 resize program -- it not recommended i guess)
    check out this - It's NOT recommended for new users How To Resize ext3 Partitions Without Losing Data | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

2)Safe option is to add another secondary harddisk and use it as your root fs.

I'm not sure about anyother options.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Linux Newbie
    Now the new challenge is to make a separate filesystem for this custom kernel. I tried fdisk, but it told there is no space. Then I thought to make a partition using loopback device.I made an ext3 filesystem and mounted it on /mnt/point1 .But, after I reboot,this filesystem vanished ! I was told that it was due to temporary mount.Then I tried editing /etc/fstab file and after this,I made filesystem again and rebooted. My system crashed due to it.It told it could not find such filesystem !
    Please tell me what to do now.I want a new filesys for my custom kernel
    Thanks.
    Why do you want a separate filesystem for a user compiled kernel ????
    Very confused
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by blinky View Post
    Why do you want a separate filesystem for a user compiled kernel ????
    Very confused
    This is one of my requirements for my university project

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    1)if your current File System based on LVM,then you could possible resize your paritions.
    check out this - It's NOT recommended for new users How To Resize ext3 Partitions Without Losing Data | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

2)Safe option is to add another secondary harddisk and use it as your root fs.

I'm not sure about anyother options.
    1) This option is too complex for me
    2) I cannot add another hard disk. Whatever I do, it has to be in the same hard disk

By the way, I followed the link given by you and some others and created a loopback device and mounted it successfully.When I did df -h it showed the partition with filesystem.
    But it vanished when I rebooted.

Linux Newbie
    This is one of my requirements for my university project
    Just trying to get my head round what your trying to do. Do you need/want the new kernel to run with a different root filesystem??
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by blinky View Post
    Just trying to get my head round what your trying to do. Do you need/want the new kernel to run with a different root filesystem??
    Correct...This is what I exactly need. Can you suggest some method?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Hi Lakshmipathi,
    I decided to follow this link and understood everything written there.But when I tried to unmount my /home directory, it told device is busy and did not unmount

here is an overview of my system:
    filesystem size used avail use% mounted on
    /dev/sda2 20G 5.1G 14G 28% /
    udev 248M 92K 248M 1% /dev
    /dev/sda3 52G 285M 49G 1% /home

when I did,
    umount /dev/sda3

then I got following result :
    umount : /home: device is busy
    umount : /home: device is busy

I am giving all instructions from /root directory in su mode.There are no other applications running.
    Please tell me how to unmount it...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast