Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi All, How to read and write the Data from Disk on Module? Can I get source code for this DOM driver in Linux? Is any body work on this? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile linux Driver for Disk on Module

Hi All,

How to read and write the Data from Disk on Module?

Can I get source code for this DOM driver in Linux?
    Is any body work on this?

Regards
    Maniks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A disk on Module is basically a solid-state disc, or flash drive in other words. It should appear to the system like any really fast hard drive. They plug directly into either an IDE-PATA or SATA interface, so I think the normal disc drivers will work for these just fine. Why? Are you building an embedded system that will have one of the puppies?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Smile

Yes i am using Disk on module in my embedded system project

Quote Originally Posted by maniks View Post
    Yes i am using Disk on module in my embedded system project
    Ok. They why not use a standard pata-sata driver? The module itself will appear to the system as a standard disc drive.

Just Joined!

Disk on Module Driver

Thanks for your suggestion
    My question is whether standard pata-sata driver will support Disk on Module?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Ok. They why not use a standard pata-sata driver? The module itself will appear to the system as a standard disc drive.
    shall i get source code for Sata driver?

The sata driver should be part of the kernel, assuming you are building a 2.6.xx kernel, and not a 2.4 one. The 2.4 will certainly have an ide-ata driver which will work as well. Please read this wikipedia article about Disk on Module: Disk on module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - it should help clarify some of your issues.

Just Joined!

Question about Disk on Module

Thanks Rubberman...for your Valuable information.

The Driver which you suggest me for Disk on module Is it sufficient to boot my application from Disk on Module?

It should be, provided that it has a boot loader installed on the root sector (0). Your BIOS should load that into memory and jump you there. Once there, your boot code should relocate that page (512 bytes, typically) in memory, and vector to the next instruction in the new memory location. In any case, you need to understand what your BIOS is doing and what instructions / interrupts it supports. That isn't a subject for this forum I believe.

Just Joined!

Disk on Module

does it mean that I should Know complete BIOS source code and Boot Loader code. Did I get it correct?

The basic problem is that i already have a embedded hardware with x86 (386) with eprom and disc on chip (DOC). We need to port the existing application into a general purpose IT-ATX box which will be using DOM.

I'll be grateful if you could guide me through a brief process. What information i should need for this or from where I will get more information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast