Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I need some help with my OS course. There is a function of linux (kernel?) such that, if I created a directory yesterday, and updated contents inside today, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Location of source code for filesystem function - update modification date of folder

Hi all

I need some help with my OS course. There is a function of linux (kernel?) such that, if I created a directory yesterday, and updated contents inside today, the modification date of the directory is updated as today.

The question is: where is the location of the source code which implements this function? (which source code file, which lines...) I guess this is a function of the kernel, which ultilizes the date functions offered by various filesystems. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Smile

The question is: where is the location of the source code which implements this function? (which source code file, which lines...)
    I'm not sure whether you will get exact source code line from this forum ....First of all which files system source you are looking at ?

I would suggest you the book "Linux Kernel Internals By M. Beck" for more details about (file system) kernel functions ..

You can browse the linux source codes from here LXR / The Linux Cross Reference or try google code ..or from your system.

All the best Happy Learning
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    the date of directory or any file has two components i.e modification date and accessed date.these two values are kept in inode and we do not have control over inode .
    Kernel keeps changing values of inode content so when a file is created in directory actually we wrtie in more line in directory file i.e. name and inode no of newely created file.hence the date of directory changes.