Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running Debian Sid, 64-bits. I can compile a kernel just fine, it boots just fine, but nothing I do will make the ATI catalyst driver install. Not once, but several ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Custom kernel compiled fine, ATI driver won't compile

Running Debian Sid, 64-bits. I can compile a kernel just fine, it boots just fine, but nothing I do will make the ATI catalyst driver install. Not once, but several times. Here's some info:
    kernel source: Zen-sources, Debian, and plain vanilla. All 2.6.28.
    ATI driver: 8.11, 9.1,9.2,9.3. All give the same results

These are the lines I use to compile
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    Code:
    make-kpkg clean
    Code:
    make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd --revision=rob.64 kernel_image kernel_headers --append-to-version=.rob64
    In the past I always used this command, and it always worked flawlessly (but I also had an NVIDIA card. unlike now):
    Code:
    make-kpkg --initrd --revision=k8 --append-to-version=.rob64 kernel_image binary
    As I said, the kernel compiles, installs, and boots without problem. But I'm stuck with the radeonhd driver, which for my card (the R670 chip) has unacceptable performance. Usually, I only get an error message saying it failed to build, but once I got this error:

Code:
      Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 1 modules
    FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module fglrx.ko uses GPL-only symbol '__rcu_read_lock'
    make[3]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lucho/kernel_compiling/linux-source-2.6.28'
    make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx'
    make: *** [kdist_image] Error 2
    BUILD FAILED!
    See /var/cache/modass/fglrx-source.buildlog.2.6.28.rob64.1238186910 for details.
    Build failed. Press Return to continue...
    All of the other times I got no error code, so I don't know if it is the same error every time. When I had an NVIDIA card, this never happened; at worst I had to use a workaround. ATI only installs if I use the precompiled kernel from the Debian repositories. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Try these links if you haven't already seen them, maybe they will shed some light on things for you.
    HowTo: fglrx on a real-time kernel - Ubuntu Forums
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...all-guide.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I'm not running Ubuntu, nor did I build a realtime kernel. But thanks anyway- I'm looking into it just in case.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ubuntu is based on Debian, but that doesn't matter anyway. Usually when talking about the kernel, if a fix works on one distro it will work on other distros too. Are you pretty sure that the driver you have is 64bit? Are you sure there are no other modules loaded and possibly interfering?

EDIT: I have seen where several people claim that building the kernel without paravirtualization will fix this.
    #420842 - FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module fglrx.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'paravirt_ops' - Debian Bug report logs
    See post #17
    Building fglrx on Lenny | debianHELP
    See post #2
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 05-19-2009 at 05:34 AM.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Ubuntu is based on Debian, but that doesn't matter anyway. Usually when talking about the kernel, if a fix works on one distro it will work on other distros too. Are you pretty sure that the driver you have is 64bit? Are you sure there are no other modules loaded and possibly interfering?
    What I meant was that Ubuntu depends on DKMS for kernel modules. Debian doesn't, and this affects the driver installation. I did try a script from Kano (yeah, the guy who created Kanotix). It installed DKMS, and I still couldn't build fglrx.

The driver is 64-bit, and I have the 32-bit libs installed (you need them for some reason). Other modules aren't an issue because the problem is that the driver doesn't build in the first place.