Find the answer to your Linux question:
in kernel space ,if i get the i_ino(inode mumber ) of a file, and next how could i get the block number of this file? in VFS layer the inode ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

what's relationship between VFS inode and ext3_inode?

in kernel space ,if i get the i_ino(inode mumber ) of a file, and next how could i get the block number of this file? in VFS layer the inode struct haven't i_block[] array to point to the blocks. but in ext3_inode struct, it has. what's the relationship between the VFS inode and ext3_inode?

Exclamation

ext3-user or ext3-developer mailing list may provide more answers for you.

Anyway , here is my assumptions,VFS provides "posix" compliance metadata structure (speicifies set of field each file system's inode should have)
    VFS - Virutal File system , acts as an abstraction between real File System (ext2,ext3,ReiserFs etc) .

For example ,while processing ext3 file's inode,it's content and copied to VFS and manipulated and then returned back to ext3 file's original inode.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org