Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have successfully compiled my kernel but don't really understand the importance of keeping a backup of the .config file created in the root directory of the source . I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

importance of .config file after kernel compilation

I have successfully compiled my kernel but don't really understand the importance of keeping a backup of the .config file created in the root directory of the source . I have read on many site that having a backup is good but this step is optional.
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640

Quote Originally Posted by vickey_20 View Post
    I have successfully compiled my kernel but don't really understand the importance of keeping a backup of the .config file created in the root directory of the source . I have read on many site that having a backup is good but this step is optional.
    It's good to have because now you can just copy the .config file to a new kernel directory and issue make oldconfig instead of having to sort through the whole thing like you just did. Keep in mind that this is only advisable for minor version changes in the kernel. See this Gentoo kernel upgrade guide for more info.
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Linux Kernel Upgrade Guide
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Agreed. I always keep a backup .config file so when I compile a new kernel I'll always have a spare if the original should somehow get lost or corrupted.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here