Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi RedHAT ES 2.1.. I am trying to install an Intel gigabit ethrnet adapter and the instructions says " "The kernel source code is required to be present.If the /usr/src/linux-<kernel-version> ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel Source required before installing ethernet drivers

Hi

RedHAT ES 2.1.. I am trying to install an Intel gigabit ethrnet adapter and the instructions says "

"The kernel source code is required to be present.If the /usr/src/linux-<kernel-version> directory does no exist , install the source code as per distro instruction"

This folder is indeed NOT there and being a newbie to linux this has blown me right off the planet.

Can someone please explain what all this means and how to go about installing the kernel source code

Appreciate any assistance

Just Joined!
    He he, seems like many people have that problem. I am running a RH 9.0 and I had the same problem installing my broadcom ethernet drivers. I have posted a thread where you can find detailed step by step instructions on how to install the broadcom drivers. The reason why that will be helpful to you is that there's instructions on how to upgrade and install your kernel and kernel headers, so just be patient and read it. I am also pretty sure that the installation for broadcom on RH 9 and on your configuration are pretty close, so read it, try it, email me if you have any questions: alagenchev@yahoo.com

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...rnel+headers3F

Just Joined!
    Hmm I read that and it sounded like I wrote the post I meant I have the thread pasted in my message, someone else wrote it, just click on the link