Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I want to generate a periodic interrupt through RTC. However, /dev/rtc file doesnt exist. How can i configure the kernel to enable the RTC. Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

/dev/rtc doesnt exist

Hello,
    I want to generate a periodic interrupt through RTC. However, /dev/rtc file doesnt exist. How can i configure the kernel to enable the RTC. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Which kernel/platform are you using?
    To create your rtc device, find the description of your device and use the following command:
    mknod /dev/rtc c [major number] [minor number]

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am using Ts-linux.
    I tried what you suggested and here what I got:
    [root@epc dev]#mknod /dev/rtc c [10] [135]
    mknod: invalid major device number `[10]'

One of the sites was suggesting the following:
    "modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135

char-major-10-135 refers to the character device, major 10, minor 135, which is /dev/rtc. It provides access to the BIOS clock, or RTC, the Real Time Clock. See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/rtc.txt for more information.

The error is because something, most likely hwclock, is trying to use /dev/rtc but you haven't configured kernel support for it in your kernel. Either delete /dev/rtc so hwclock won't try to use it or enable RTC support in your kernel. It's located in make menuconfig under "Character devices" -> "Enhanced Real Time Clock Support"."

how can i get to menuconfig. Is there a way to enable RTC through terminal line because my TS-linux platform has no GUI (its a platform for a PC104 computer).

thanks

Just Joined!
    How can i enable the RTC in kernel. I am a beginner in linux

Just Joined!
    The RTC is enabled with make menuconfig. To have graphic view, you must install ncurse on your PC.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lynxx View Post
    The RTC is enabled with make menuconfig. To have graphic view, you must install ncurse on your PC.
    i there a way to enable it from the terminal line?

Just Joined!
    on your linux directory, you can find and edit a ".config" file containning the configuration done by the "make menuconfig" menu. Seek the string "RTC" and decomments the line and add "=y" instead of "is not set".

Editing .config file directly is strongly discouraged. By doing make menuconfig all internal dependencies are maintained - and this is something you want.