Find the answer to your Linux question:
Haii, I compiled a simple kernel module in fedora core 6,shows some error.But the same code worked in RHEL.Any one know the reason pls pls help me.The error message is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel compilation error

Haii,
    I compiled a simple kernel module in fedora core 6,shows some error.But the same code worked in RHEL.Any one know the reason pls pls help me.The error message is

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build M=/media/disk/mypgms modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: *** [all] Error 2

and the make file is
    obj-m += hello.o
    all:
    make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) modules

regerds shabeer

Hi shabeer,
    I'm not sure about exact error messages, Have check this useful guide about LKM,

The Kernel Newbie Corner: Your First Loadable Kernel Module
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The kernel build configuration is quite different between FC and various RHEL distributions. Do check on the requirements in either case in order to resolve your problem. In any case, the error is saying that the directory /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build doesn't exist. You could create it and see if that fixes your build error, or if something else comes up.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thaks for the replays.......
    I think the problem was the missing of kernel headers and i install kdeve-packages(kernel-devel-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686.rpm ), bcoz i am using fc9.
    Now the programs are working fine.and thaks.
    But now i got a warning --Clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete.
    do u know the reason?? But the insmod and other utilities are working fine with the compiled modus.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Clock skew would only be an issue if you are doing partial builds where make uses the file time stamps to determine if certain sources need to be compiled or not. If you are doing a complete/clean build, then this will not be an issue since all of the sources will be compiled.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!