Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello mates, I am working on currently 2.6.25.14 version of the K. Suppose there are 2 threads L ( Lower priority ) and H ( Higher Priority ). Lets say ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How does schedule() behave?

Hello mates,

I am working on currently 2.6.25.14 version of the K.

Suppose there are 2 threads L ( Lower priority ) and H ( Higher Priority ). Lets say H is currently running and there's an instruction to "schedule()", assume there's some while condition.

If this happens, would L gets a chance for execution although it has lower priority than H? Or the scheduler just keep on trying only H?

Thanks,
    Goutham.

Just Joined!
    If there is no other threads whose priority is higher than L waiting in the wait queue then I think the L thread will be given control of the CPU.

Hope this answers your question and correct me if I am wrong.

Just Joined!
    Hello GordenLopes,

I figured things going through some technical articles. You are right to some extent till K version 2.4. However, from 2.6 onwards scheduling happens in a different way. So, for my current question the answer would be "L will be scheduled even though H has higher priority and is in the ready-queue".

K 2.6 has a new concept called "dynamic task prioritization".

To prevent tasks from hogging the CPU and thus starving other tasks that need CPU access, the Linux 2.6 scheduler can dynamically alter a task's priority. It does so by penalizing tasks that are bound to a CPU and rewarding tasks that are I/O bound. I/O-bound tasks commonly use the CPU to set up an I/O and then sleep awaiting the completion of the I/O. This type of behavior gives other tasks access to the CPU.

I sincerely appreciate your effort.

--Goutham.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close