Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi there, Iḿ new to compiling the linux kernel. I currently have a system setup for running a very basic setup, that is a bootloader(grub), the bzimage(2.6.31-2) and an initrd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel log on boot

hi there,

Iḿ new to compiling the linux kernel. I currently have a system setup for running a very basic setup, that is a bootloader(grub), the bzimage(2.6.31-2) and an initrd image. I have gotten the system to boot the kernel and load the initrd image but it ends up in a kernel panic. I have tried looking for a log file so that i can find where the panic starts but i cannot find it. Where can i find this log file?

greets,
    Wernher

Why initrd with custom kernel? Do you rely on some binary blob to access your boot device?
    What is the exact error message?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Why initrd with custom kernel? Do you rely on some binary blob to access your boot device?
    thanks for the reply,

I originally had no initrd, however i got a root not found error when the kernel was booting and i read somewhere that this was a solution. when i added the ramfs the root not found error dissapeared, as for the error message that i now get.. i would post the full error message but cannot view the full error, thats why i want to view the logs.. is there a log file for the kernel boot?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

by the way.. what is a binary blob?

I originally had no initrd, however i got a root not found error when the kernel was booting and i read somewhere that this was a solution.
    The solution is to build support for HDD controller and root filesystem into kernel, not as modules. If your kernel cannot access the root filesystem then there cannot be a log file ...
    Shift+PageUp may scroll back in buffer.

Binary blob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just Joined!
    The solution is to build support for HDD controller and root filesystem into kernel, not as modules. If your kernel cannot access the root filesystem then there cannot be a log file ...
    Shift+PageUp may scroll back in buffer.

Binary blob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    was just reading that on wiki..

iḿ booting the system now, waiting for the kernel panic to (time out?) so that i can post the full message, thanks for the ¨shift pgup¨ tip

Just Joined!
    to answer the question, as far as i know im not running a binary blog, at least i never loaded one. Let me add that iḿ running off of a usb flash stick.

doing shift+pgup doest work :-s, going to try and compile with internal support for hdd controller and rootfs. There anytips where i can find these options? Are they selected by default, i downloaded the source files from kernel.org

You do make menuconfig and enable support for your hardware which is used to access the boot device (usually HDD controller) and root filesystem which is probably EXT3 (not rootfs). If you are running off USB stick then you have to compile in support for USB controller instead.
    Do you follow some tutorial? The whole idea building your own kernel is to customize it for your hardware and needs. Thus, how could support for your hardware be enabled by default? Sources are meant for everybody to use, they do not come customized for you.

Just Joined!
    You do make menuconfig and enable support for your hardware which is used to access the boot device (usually HDD controller) and root filesystem which is probably EXT3 (not rootfs). If you are running off USB stick then you have to compile in support for USB controller instead.
    Do you follow some tutorial? The whole idea building your own kernel is to customize it for your hardware and needs. Thus, how could support for your hardware be enabled by default? Sources are meant for everybody to use, they do not come customized for you.

iya, i use menuconfig to configure, and the option arch=i386(building on a 64 bit machine for x86). but i noticed that aqlot of the options where allready selected as enabled. So i just changed the processor family and thought it would work..? My plan was that once i got it working i would cut it down to size by disabling parts my system does not have.

iḿ still going to give it a go with the initramfs, iḿ just trying to figure out what i must put in the source.