Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, i have installed RH 9 on my desktop having kernel 2.4..... i want to upgrade to 2.6 i have downloaded 2.6.30.tar.bz2 and patch 2.6.30.3 and started compling the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

error in compiling 2.6.30.3 kernel

Hi all,

i have installed RH 9 on my desktop having kernel 2.4.....
    i want to upgrade to 2.6
    i have downloaded 2.6.30.tar.bz2 and patch 2.6.30.3 and started compling the kernel after kernel configuration.
    After some point of time, i am getting the error as given below

" make[1]: *** No rule to make target `|', needed by `firmware/keyspan/usa19qi.fw.gen.S'. Stop.
    make: *** [firmware] Error 2"

can anybody help me in resolving the issue

OR

can anybody suggest me the stable 2.6 kernel which gets compiled and can be installed without any issues

thanx

Sorry for not answering your question right now. I have a question for you: Why did you install such an old and outdated Linux? This system is too old to run latest kernel.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You cannot install a 2.6 kernel on Red Hat 9 - certainly not to a 2.6.30 one without a LOT of system changes - all libraries, applications, tools... Effectively, you need to upgrade your system to FC 10 or 11 to do this. Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.3 (current stable release) is only at 2.6.18 and I wouldn't try to upgrade to 2.6.30 without a lot of time to waste.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close