Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello i'm building my own linux distro and i wanted to make it portable (i was inspired by damn small linux) and so how do i shrink the linux kernel? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how can i shrink the kernel

hello i'm building my own linux distro and i wanted to make it portable (i was inspired by damn small linux) and so how do i shrink the linux kernel? the full kernel is around 300mb i was hoping to make it fix in under 100mb...

You need to compile the kernel and exclude unncessary modules.
    So that the size of kernel becomes very small. Google tinycore linux which comes with 10MB size and microcore linux comes with 5-7MB.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    You need to compile the kernel and exclude unncessary modules.
    So that the size of kernel becomes very small. Google tinycore linux which comes with 10MB size and microcore linux comes with 5-7MB.

so then, i would remove the parts i do not need/want before i compile or after? i'm thinking before...
    (btw: thanks for helping)

Quote Originally Posted by itachixeyes View Post
    so then, i would remove the parts i do not need/want before i compile or after? i'm thinking before...
    (btw: thanks for helping)

Yes, before.
    When you get into the kernel configuration menu, by removing stuff that you do not need, you are making the kernel smaller which in turn limits the time needed to compile that kernel.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.