Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a newb here, taking an OS class. This is my first time messing with Linux at all. So far I have installed Ubuntu, compiled the Linux Kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Need some guidance for a class project (count the number of times write() is invoked)

Hi, I am a newb here, taking an OS class. This is my first time messing with Linux at all. So far I have installed Ubuntu, compiled the Linux Kernel 2.6.34.1 a couple times to get setting right for my computer, and just figured out how modulations work (write the code, get functions from the kernel, plug it in, pull it out, check the log, etc.). It's actually been a lot more interesting and exciting than I thought it was going to be, but, anyway, I have a project due next week!
    I have to design a system call that counts the number of times write() is invoked in a given time interval (seconds). Apparently in the newest version of kernel write() has been removed (or changed, I don't know), but the TA helped me bring the write() function back. Anyway, I am not really sure how to approach this now that I am actually getting close to writing it. I assume I want to get an input for how many seconds to measure, make a counter loop that does a counter++ each time it finds an occurrence of write() and when the time is up stop, and return the counter value.
    So, how does the kernel handle time, i mean, if I get an input of say 8 seconds do tell the system look at the clock (12:00:00 and stop at 12:00:08 ) or how should this be handle. And how do I monitor the kernel for how many times it is performing the write() function? Thanks so much!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The terms of use for this site precludes helping people with classwork assignments except in the most general ways. That's why you are taking the class, to learn how to do this stuff. I would think that the materials you have been provided or references you have been apprised of should provide the information needed to complete the assignment.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!