Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've been a Slackware/Redhat user for many years until v.6, then withdrawn for almost 10 years. Now I am back and building 2 machines for my kids to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Kernel 2.6.31.6 will boot all the way to loading services, then stop

Hi,

I've been a Slackware/Redhat user for many years until v.6, then withdrawn for almost 10 years.
    Now I am back and building 2 machines for my kids to use for school projects.

Installed Fedora 11, d/l latest stable kernel from .org, configured, compiled, installed and stalled at the point where kernel will boot all the way up to the point where it will start services. Instead of proceeding, it just sits there and I can type anything and it will appear on the screen. If at that point I would press CAD, it will say shutting down MD volumes and reboot.

What information should I provide for you to be able to help me troubleshoot this particular kernel?

I can boot into the kernel 2.6.30.9 that came with the latest update no problem and am writing it from that Fedora 11 machine.

Here's my Grub.conf with the kernel in question coming first:

Code:
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
    #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    #          root (hd1,0)
    #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_lion-lv_root
    #          initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/sdb
    default=2
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    #hiddenmenu
    title Fedora (2.6.31.6.-LionP4.fc11.i686)
            root (hd1,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.6.LionP4.fc11.i686 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_lion-lv_root rhgb vga=0x346 #quiet
            initrd /initrd-2.6.31.6-LionP4.fc11.i686.img
    title Fedora (2.6.30.9-96.fc11.i586)
            root (hd1,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.i586 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_lion-lv_root rhgb quiet vga=0x346
            initrd /initrd-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.i586.img
    title Fedora (2.6.30.9-96.fc11.i686.PAE)
            root (hd1,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.i686.PAE ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_lion-lv_root rhgb quiet vga=0x346
            initrd /initrd-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.i686.PAE.img
    title Fedora (2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE)
            root (hd1,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_lion-lv_root rhgb quiet vga=0x346
            initrd /initrd-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE.img
    title WinXP
            rootnoverify (hd0,0)
            chainloader +1

Just Joined!

Update

Here's more detail how the boot process goes:

after selecting new kernel in Grub menu, it switches into VESA mode 346 (1600x1200x16), displays tux logo and plays all normal kernel booting messages, then for a split second displays blue Fedora framebuffer splash screen with 'f' in the middle, clears screen and nothing happens.
    If I start typing, text just appears on the screen.

Just Joined!

Update

Re-compiled the kernel a few more times, gradually turning more and more drivers from modules into in-kernel code: ATA, SATA, SCSI, various RAM/ROMfs.

That has changed absolutely nothing and it baffles me.

Also did line by line diff of the vanilla .config from installation kernel and my custom one. There is absolutely nothing that would catch my eye as something that could prevent initrd from being loades, ext3/4 from being mounted, and any ATA/SATA/SCSI problems should have caused kernel to panic instead of booting.

There is only one thing I am not certain about: what exactly in the modern kernel is responsible for mounting LVM volumes? My partition layout is 400mb /boot ext3 and the rest is / ext4 and swap on LVM group.

In the custom kernel I am building I turned on in-kernel compilation of everything related to RAID/LVM I could find.

Any ideas?

Just Joined!

No one was able to provide any ideas so far

After posting the same on several forums I got no meaningful response.

No one was able to advise what process was pending at the black screen.

Also I tried upgrading to F12 and that thoroughly messed up the system, which I ended up re-partitioning, re-formatting and installing from scratch. After I completely recover the environment, I will resume testing of the new kernel compilation.

Just Joined!
    Hi. I'm mainly just responding cause it's really too bad noone has. It's an interesting issue. I myself don't have any good ideas other than to try a previous release. I get the impression that Linux users typically make the best of what they have and may not be thoroughly familiar with the latest and greatest technology. Just an opinion. I'd like to understand how exactly stability is tested. Maybe you're trying something they don't. I am also curious about what you're doing because I too would like to make use of the latest release. What is the purpose of recompiling? What changes are you making? I suppose you may have explained that sufficiently, but I'm not that well versed. Care to elaborate?

Just Joined!
    Solved that by d/l 2.5.32-rc7 and then rc8 when they came out. Now almost everything works fine.