Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. Please excuse me I'm new at this, but the newbie section just didn't seem appropriate. I can't seem to unpack/extract the kernel source without difficulty. I've tried every 2.6 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unpacking kernel source produces duplicate files

Hi. Please excuse me I'm new at this, but the newbie section just didn't seem appropriate. I can't seem to unpack/extract the kernel source without difficulty. I've tried every 2.6 version. They all turn up several duplicate .h and .c files. I'm not sure whether I should agree to write over the previous or not. Maybe I need both copies. I've considered extracting twice, choosing both options, but then the files couldn't be configured properly. I should include that I'm using XP and I'm extracting with 7-zip. I can't see why either of those should be a problem. I'm obviously not going to develop on XP, I just want to study the source. I have good info for that, and I just want to be sure I have everything I need and it's in order. That's all. Any opinions out there?

How do you unpack, unpack to where?
    Since I think by your story you might unpacked a file. And almost unpacked over that the other file again.

Let me know.

Cheers,
    Robin
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Hi Robin. Thanks for responding. I'm really eager to get into this stuff. So, I unpacked at the root ( C:\ ). But have also tried two folders inside that. No difference. I'd prefer to use the latest stable version. When I extract the .bz2 file I get a .tar file. No problem. When I extract the tar a window pops up alerting me a file already exists. Do I want to rewrite it? I'll choose yes, not yes to all, and it happens several other times. Here's the list.

All starting with C:\linux-2.6.31.6

\Documentation\io-mapping.txt
    \include\linux\netfilter\xt_connmark.h
    \include\linux\netfilter\xt_dscp.h
    \include\linux\netfilter\xt_mark.h
    \include\linux\netfilter\xt_rateest.h
    \include\linux\netfilter\xt_tcpmss.h
    \include\linux\netfilter_ipv4\ipt_connmark.h
    \include\linux\netfilter_ipv4\ipt_dscp.h
    \include\linux\netfilter_ipv4\ipt_ecn.h
    \include\linux\netfilter_ipv4\ipt_mark.h
    \include\linux\netfilter_ipv4\ipt_tcpmss.h
    \include\linux\netfilter_ipv4\ipt_tos.h
    \include\linux\netfilter_ipv4\ipt_ttl.h
    \include\linux\netfilter_ipv6\ip6t_hl.h
    \include\linux\netfilter_ipv6\ip6t_mark.h
    \net\ipv4\netfilter\ipt_ecn.c
    \net\netfilter\xt_connmark.c
    \net\netfilter\xt_dscp.c
    \net\netfilter\xt_hl.c
    \net\netfilter\xt_mark.c
    \net\netfilter\xt_rateest.c
    \net\netfilter\xt_tcpmss.c

Though the files are recognized by windows as duplicates the file names were orginally given different cases which all remain associated when choosing either yes or no. Judging by a rather impressive, though mostly incomprehensible (from my current skill level) explanation of memory addressing (I think) in the io-mapping text file, it seems that the files with uppercase names are recent additions. Maybe windows just doesn't distinguish between cases. I can't understand that, though. Aren't they different ascii values? Any input would be great.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I stoped readin at the first sentence..
    NEVER call the all mighty root folder the C:\ thats blasphemes

*later..*
    I just noticed that you run XP.. woops my bad.. then you are alright.
    The netfilter is for iptables.

Windows indeed doesnt care about Cases. While nix does.. My advice is to setup a little linux box or overwrite them. And compile without netfiler
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Hello again. I don't believe in blaspheme. No entity is too good for criticism or a potentially disparaging comparison. I hope you didn't stop reading after that line. It doesn't make sense to try to help if you're not going to read what people write. But you did read and you did help. Thank you. When I do compile the kernel it will be on Linux. I wouldn't want to leave out any component if I'm trying to build an os. Unless I'm working on an embedded system, which I might do. Then windows could work, with, say, WinAVR and AVRStudio. That's good stuff. So it's something to think about. Thank's so much for your input. You're a hot little bird, Robin.