Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am new to linux environment and need help to make linux driver compilable. Today i have installed ubuntu OS 8.04 version, which has linux kernel version of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Changing kernel in ubuntu

Hi All,
    I am new to linux environment and need help to make linux driver compilable. Today i have installed ubuntu OS 8.04 version, which has linux kernel version of 2.4.24.
    I have the linux driver code for serial port based on linux kernel 2.2.12. The driver is not compiling on ubuntu os and it is giving error as /usr/include/asm/atomic.h file not found.
    There is no folder called asm under /usr/include folder of ubuntu. Is it possible to replace existing kernel 2.4.24 code with older kernel 2.2.12 code then need to try compiling the driver code.
    Or suggest any other way to compile driver code.

i'm sure you will find it very difficult to port a driver for a 2.2 kernel to a 2.6 kernel (ubuntu 8.04 uses 2.6.24 not 2.4.24). Is there a problem with the 2.6.24 driver for the serial port or is this some custom driver? What are you trying to accomplish?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    i'm sure you will find it very difficult to port a driver for a 2.2 kernel to a 2.6 kernel (ubuntu 8.04 uses 2.6.24 not 2.4.24). Is there a problem with the 2.6.24 driver for the serial port or is this some custom driver? What are you trying to accomplish?
    Actually that driver is a custom driver for a hardware board. So i thought simply replacing kernel folder under ubuntu will serve my purpose.
    I have similar issue for another driver, which uses kernel version 2.6.19 and giving compilation error on ubunty ( 2.6.24). If kernel folder of 2.6.24 replaced with 2.6.19 then please confirm i would be able to compile and run my driver in ubuntu ??????

you can compile and run kernel 2.6.19 then build that other driver and use it

as for the 2.2 kernel driver, you will most likely have to rewrite this to work in your kernel currently