Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, everyone. I am still pretty new to Linux, but I really like it. I am doing my best to convince others to switch. But I have also decided that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Want to write a distro

Hello, everyone.

I am still pretty new to Linux, but I really like it. I am doing my best to convince others to switch.

But I have also decided that I would like to learn how to write a distro. I have a specific target audience in mind, and I think I have thought of most of the necessary packages to include. But I do not know how to write an OS.

I am in college right now, so I have the opportunity to take the classes I need to learn what I need to know. My question is, what do I need to know? What kinds of courses will prepare me to write Linux and other programs for Linux? Computer language? Java?

What major would it be under? Computer information systems? Computer programming? Networking? I never could keep the different titles and terms straight.

First you should take a step back and consider what this means. First off a distro is merely a collection of applications running under a linux kernel. There are hundreds if not thousands of these and it is possible what you want already exists. It would probably be better for the community for you to contribute to an already running project. You don't need to write code necessarily to have a distro, unless you are planning on rewriting all the tools that already exist (unnecessary). If you want to see what it is like, try this Welcome to Linux From Scratch!