Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey anybody please help me I m doing work to build device driver for USB 2.0 pendrive in Linux (fedora kernel 2.6.31.5). I have knowledge of loadable kernel modules, how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need USB 2.0 Pendrive device driver source code

Hey anybody please help me I m doing work to build device driver for USB 2.0 pendrive in Linux (fedora kernel 2.6.31.5). I have knowledge of loadable kernel modules, how to add modules into the kernel, compiling the kernel,etc..
    I have made one module for printing message in C language and successfully added modules into kernel and compiling the kernel but i don't have knowledge how to make program for device driver.
    If you have any knowledge please help me to find out source code for that.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sanket1512 View Post
    i don't have knowledge how to make program for device driver.
    Welcome to the forums!

You can find a tutorial (pdf format) for creating device drivers under Linux here:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1238/pdf

I've never used it so can't say how helpful it might be, but hope you find it useful.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Just wondering: What are you doing that requires your own device driver? On a Fedora system (and almost any other distribution) USB devices are detected and automatically mounted. The source code for all of that (including the drivers) is, of course, available from the Fedora repositories.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by PTrenholme View Post
    Just wondering: What are you doing that requires your own device driver? On a Fedora system (and almost any other distribution) USB devices are detected and automatically mounted. The source code for all of that (including the drivers) is, of course, available from the Fedora repositories.
    actually i want to make it for my final year project and i know it is already available in usr>src>kernel>linux>driver>usb_storage. but i its too large and difficult 2 understand.

so please inform me any other option...

Just Joined!
    Please refer to USB 2.0 architecture specification before writing USB driver. Have good understanding on USB architecture

There are 2 drivers in USB architecture, one for USB device driver, another is USB Host controller drivers. Hope you are looking for USB device driver.

To learn and make it for academic project, below is my sugession

1. Creat a new Linux kernel image without USB device driver support.
    (make manuconfig ---> USB support etc)
    2. Once new kernel image is create, write USB device driver and load into kernel using insmod

Regarding materials,we will get lots of documents/articles/URLs for compiling module, inserting module et.

Regards
    Soibam

Just Joined!

disabling usb driver

Hi!!sanket1512,I am doing the same project.So if u have done the project please help me with it..
    my email id is
    sunil.gandhi007@gmail.com
    Anyways I m facing problem that I want my transcend jetflash pendrive to use my driver instead of inbuilt driver and I dont know how to disable it...
    If anyone knows please tell me how to do it..
    I m using kernel version 2.6.36.1
    and m using ubuntu 10.04

Thanking in advance..