Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, Sorry for yet another mmap-related question. Bottom line question - is there any problem with mmap'ing (with /dev/mem) over a range that includes memory requested (and granted to) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    IGW
    Just Joined!

user space mmap overlapping with kernel ioremap range

Hello all,

Sorry for yet another mmap-related question.

Bottom line question - is there any problem with mmap'ing (with /dev/mem) over a range that includes memory requested (and granted to) a kernel module?

details follow ...
    Embedded ARM based system kernel is 2.6.29 basically.

I have a simple driver that needs to check a GPIO status line, read from phys address (easy enough) and toggle another GPIO line. (Using iowrite32 call - slower than I would like, but that is another issue.) Data arrives very regularly and predictably and there is plenty of buffering at various points - kernel timer is used rather than interrupt at this stage.

The driver claims address range:
    0xFFFFF000 for 0x0A00 bytes long.
    (check_mem_region followed by request_mem_region and ioremap).

I want access in user space to these GPIO controllers (and some other hardware registers) as well. So I mmap (on /dev/mem) an overlapping region:
    0xFFFFE0000 for length 0x2000.

This all seems to go OK - the return values from the kernel module calls and the user space call to mmap all pass OK. All return values are checked carefully and defensively.

However, I am getting occasional seg faults on some fairly simple user space processing and I am wondering if there is a problem with these overlapping memory regions.

This is not a mutual exclusion issue.

I have searched pretty hard and been through ldd3. I did try to mmap through my driver but this caused more problems - probably as the address range in the driver is less than a page (other drivers in the system claim some of the surrounding memory.

Obviously it is necessary to *not* disturb the memory locations used by the being managed by the driver - the nature of the Atmel 9260 GPIO ports make this easy though.

So...is there any problem with mmap'ing (with /dev/mem) over a range that includes memory requested (and granted to) a kernel module?

For those of you still here, ...thanks for any help you can provide.

IGW
    Just Joined!

Solved

Just to clear this up in case anyone comes past here, and since traffic from the experts os pretty light on here I thought I would provide an update...

This was a case of RTFM, but what %%$%^&^^ (I am sort of smiling here) would put the parameter order in iowrite32 as "value" followed by "address"!

It was staring me in the face and I just couldn't see it. My history and expectation was that the call would be iowrite32(address, value).

It was my own fault for not reading carefully enough - we can get blinded by our pasts and expectations - sort of a life lesson there.

So it is not surprising the kernel oops'ed when I tried to write to all sort of weird locations.

My code, including the user mmap'ed blocks overlapping memory allocated by the kernel is all working OK.

Just Joined!
    hi there,
    could you please tell me how did you get ioremap() worked.
    I am stuck on it, im having a list of errors when i compile the code uses ioremap().
    thanks.

Hi, mashhur. And welcome aboard!

This thread is almost 2 years old, so locking it down.
    Please feel free to start a new thread if you need help with anything, though.
    Don't forget to provide some details on the issue!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.