Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I have a problem concerning the linux kernel building process and the following creation of the image (img file). The problem is: I have ESXi installed and due to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux kernel image needed

Hello!

I have a problem concerning the linux kernel building process and the following creation of the image (img file).

The problem is: I have ESXi installed and due to some tasks I have to test this virtual environment with simple kernel (as small as possible). So:

1. I need linux kernel built with the minimum amount of modules (in fact it would be better for me if the kernel will have all needed functionality statically built-in). All I need is just a small kernel which supports primitive OS functions (fs support firstly). Network and other functionality is not needed yet. Please provide me any kind of information about the list of kernel build configuration to make it very simple.
    2. The VM recognizes several formats of file, interpreting it as hdd (like vmdk, img). So what I need is such image of hdd (for example, *.img file). How can I do such file, which will contain the file system with my simple kernel and loader.

I would be very appreciate for any kind of information about the issue

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You might check out the kernel in Tiny Core Linux:

Tiny Core Linux, Micro Core Linux, 10MB Linux GUI Desktop, Live, Frugal, Extendable

The entire distribution is only about 10MB, so the kernel should be very compact.

Hope it works for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you for quick response!

Tiny Core is a good one. I forgot to mention that I need 64bit build.
    Also I tried to build linux already and encountered the following issue (please look the attachment)

Will you please help me with that?

The grub config is

set root=(hd0,1)
    linux /boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda1 rw noapic acpi=off init=/sbin/init

The kernel and grub are on vmdk image, which I attach to virtual machine on VMware as IDE drive. Sounds weird, but linux recognizes it as sda1 only, when I tryed to put hda1 instead the result is:
    "cannot open root device hda1"
    Attached Images Attached Images

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sharipov View Post
    Thank you for quick response!

Tiny Core is a good one. I forgot to mention that I need 64bit build.
    Also I tried to build linux already and encountered the following issue (please look the attachment)

Will you please help me with that?

The grub config is

set root=(hd0,1)
    linux /boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda1 rw noapic acpi=off init=/sbin/init

The kernel and grub are on vmdk image, which I attach to virtual machine on VMware as IDE drive. Sounds weird, but linux recognizes it as sda1 only, when I tryed to put hda1 instead the result is:
    "cannot open root device hda1"
    I'm not sure if there is a 64-bit kernel option for Tiny Core, or if it would be feasible for you to build it yourself, but the best Kernel Build HowTo that I've come across is the one found at Digital Hermit:

Digital Hermit - Kernel-Build-HOWTO

Note that all the newer Linux kernels will see your IDE drive as sda1 rather than hda1.
    oz