Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
No I didn't install a custom kernel. it upgraded to the 2.6.31.21 from the original 2.6.31.14 when I went into update manager. So what I need to find is a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

No I didn't install a custom kernel. it upgraded to the 2.6.31.21 from the original 2.6.31.14 when I went into update manager. So what I need to find is a 2.6 kernel that would be good to try, any thoughts?

i didn't look when I used the live cd, didn't think it would be an issue. I would like to use a ubuntu kernel if possible. I'm pretty impressed with ubuntu so far, everything works. Well except for the 2 proc thing.

oz
    forum.guy
    If you haven't done so already, I'd try reinstalling the current kernel or another kernel of your choice. I don't run Ubuntu so don't know what all is available in their repositories. However, pretty much all the default kernels that ship with different distros are smp enabled these days.
    oz

how do I go about reinstalling the current kernel?

oz
    forum.guy
    You should be able to install using apt by running the following commands from the command line:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install kernel_package_name
    You can also checkout Synaptic for installing packages under Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
    oz

ok, just an update. I've installed all the different 2.6.31 kernels in synaptic and none find the 2nd proc. would it be a problem to go back to a 2.4 kernel to get it to work?

found out going through google that it is a problem with acpi and the kernel is not seeing it correctly. Is there a way for the new kernels to look at cpus the old way, i.e. like the 2.4 kernel. Obviously this is a new way to look at multi core cpus than what was previously done.

I got it!!!! edit your grub file in /etc/default/grub
    grub_cmdline_linux_default="apic=off apci=off splash screen"
    then run update-grub
    What an easy fix for such a big problem. Come to find out that a lot of tyan boards have issues with the apic. I don't understand why they changed the way the kernel sees multi processors though, it seemed to work just fine in the older kernels and now it doesn't. Anyways thanks for the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2