Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, recently i have complained that my memory requirements are low and asked for a solution to free it. and the answer i got was : sync; echo 3 > ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to undo drop_caches

hi,

recently i have complained that my memory requirements are low and asked for a solution to free it. and the answer i got was :

sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

this did the trick but now some of my crucial applications are running way too slow now not like before . so i0m asking again for help how to undo this and make it like before

thnx

Linux User
    A full cache is better than unused free memory. Wait until your programs' data get cached. And buy more RAM or change machine.

Code:
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    to reactivate the cache
    Last edited by nmset; 05-04-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    0 + 1 = 1 != 2 <> 3 != 4 ...
    Until the camel can pass though the eye of the needle.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is a common misunderstanding of how Linux uses memory. It will use all memory available in order to speed system performance. This is done by caching frequently used data (disc reads, etc). However, it will also drop the least recently used cached data when a program or the operating system needs it to function. My advice is to not pay too much attention to system memory unless your system gets too busy swapping memory. That is a good indicator that you don't have enough for what you are doing.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!