Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
That the bug was incomplete, and would I test it with the latest version of the mainline kernel. I'll try, but I suspect that my system won't boot at all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

That the bug was incomplete, and would I test it with the latest version of the mainline kernel. I'll try, but I suspect that my system won't boot at all with it due to a bug in kernel 2.6.32 in combination with dual NVIDIA cards and the proprietary NVIDIA driver (another bug Ubuntu is aware of but is extremely reluctant to do anything about).

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sounds like a catch-22 situation to me. Of course, you could try temporarily running with only one video controller just to vett the new kernel.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I've managed to test the latest mainline kernel, and the bug does not seem to manifest itself there (although it's hard to be sure because it's so unpredictable).

Which sucks, because I know exactly what Ubuntu is going to say now: the bug is fixed and I'll just have to wait until that kernel version makes it into Ubuntu. Given that even Lucid is only at 2.6.32, and the latest kernel is 2.6.34, that could take ages...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Myself, I'd just change the default grub entry to use the previous 9.10 kernel from before it was broken, and hope the next karmic kernel release fixes it. I'd also post a comment to the Ubuntu and kernel forums grumbling loudly about the lack of response to broken kernel updates...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that excellent advice, but I've already done that and it doesn't help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2