Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am running Linux 2.6.32.9 on MPC8313E powerpc. I ahve upgraded this from 2.6.29 and with this kernel it was working fine. But with the latest kernel, when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

low performance issue with 2.6.32.9

Hi

I am running Linux 2.6.32.9 on MPC8313E powerpc. I ahve upgraded this from 2.6.29 and with this kernel it was working fine. But with the latest kernel, when I run my main aaplication, the System is so slow that it hungs and i am not able to do anything. Please suggest how to find the root couse of this. I have gone through the change log and it dint helped me much.

Thanks
    - RavS

Which Graphics Card do you have? If you have Nvidia/ATI Card, re-install its proprietary driver. Its must for every kernel upgrade.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you are running an nVidia card, some recent drivers had severe performance problems which, while mitigated to some extent with the latest releases, are still not as snappy as some from a year or 18 months ago. These problems were exascerbated by the kernel being run.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I am trying to use latencytop utility to figure out the root cause of the problem. If anyone has worked on the latencytop then please help me in understanding the output of latencytop.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    If you are running an nVidia card, some recent drivers had severe performance problems which, while mitigated to some extent with the latest releases, are still not as snappy as some from a year or 18 months ago. These problems were exascerbated by the kernel being run.
    FYI, these nVidia problems would suck up most of the system CPU. As for latencytop, I am not familiar with that tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    FYI, these nVidia problems would suck up most of the system CPU. As for latencytop, I am not familiar with that tool.
    It not certainly due to graphics card or so.. I have an embedded product where i am facing this problem. Though Latencytop might help but i am not getting anything from its output.. it reports

LatencyTOP version 0.5 (C) 2008 Intel Corporation

Cause Maximum Percentage
    Scheduler: waiting for cpu 4723.9 msec 100 %

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_arya View Post
    It not certainly due to graphics card or so.. I have an embedded product where i am facing this problem. Though Latencytop might help but i am not getting anything from its output.. it reports

LatencyTOP version 0.5 (C) 2008 Intel Corporation

Cause Maximum Percentage
    Scheduler: waiting for cpu 4723.9 msec 100 %
    Ah! Thanks for the info. Looking again at your original post I see you mentioned the PowerPC chip. It should have clicked in my brain that this was an embedded system. You say you upgraded from 2.6.29 to 2.6.32. There were some really major kernel changes between those releases. Have you upgraded everything (including system libraries, applications, and tools) as well, and recompiled/relinked your application code?