Find the answer to your Linux question:
I haven't compiled a kernel before, so I have a few questions. I currently have kernel: 2.4.26 Even if you can answer one or two of my questions, I'd be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

kernel newbie

I haven't compiled a kernel before, so I have a few questions. I currently have kernel: 2.4.26

Even if you can answer one or two of my questions, I'd be gratefull, thanks!

1) Why should I update my kernel? Do I get more security, is it faster, what?

2) Where do I download a newer kernel?

3) What path should I install the source to? What's the normal? (Example, programs I compile in /usr/local/src )

3) How do I get the options my kernel was built with? The one that come installed? (So I can compile the new one with the same options)

4) Will I need to reinstall much? Or just kernel modules? (I know I'll have to reinstall my nvidia driver since it used kernel headers when it installed.)

thanks
    --monkey

1)Okay... by updating a kernel you accomplish many things, not the least of which are security and speed, as you mentioned. Each new kernel has more functionality built-in to it, and has a much greater compatibility than older kernels with many more options as well.
    2)You can normally download the latest kernel source using one of the myriad of package managers like yum, urpmi, or apt.
    3)The kernel source is always located in /usr/src/kernel-name-blah. Many times there is a symlink called /usr/src/linux which points to your latest kernel source. then, to compile your kernel:
    Code:
    su -
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig
    and then follow the instructions specific to your kernel for "installing" it.
    5)When you recompile a kernel, it doesn't wipe out any of your programs (generally) so you don't have to reinstall anything.
    -lakerdonald