Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by robertdaleweir Hi woliale When I issue the command you mentioned I initially get a Black Screen and then it immediately Reboot. My version currently is 2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64. Cheers... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by robertdaleweir View Post
    Hi woliale
    When I issue the command you mentioned I initially get a Black Screen and then it immediately Reboot. My version currently is 2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64. Cheers...
    Robert
    My kernel is 2.6.31.13 . My kernel is downloaded from the famous website, and I used almost the default configuration of compilation.

So now I think that Ubuntu has transferred some special kernel parameters or Ubuntu has modified some special config files, so that Ubuntu's behaviour is very different.

Obviously it will be interesting to find out which special things ubuntu has done. And also, it is a difficult problem.

First of all I don't believe it is a problem. Under normal circumstances (i.e. no hardware malfunction) a ramdisk does not simply "forget" everything and reset all to zeros.

Two, you don't know what is being erased first. That means, you don't know which parts of the kernel go down first.

With this preemption - third - it is quite hard to tell how well/bad a kernel behaves in this specific indeterministic situation. If the part that takes care of the kernel panic logging goes down first, you won't get much information and can be lucky if you get any useful information about what happened where and why it has gone down.

Surely your approach to tear down the system is quite inventive, but not really productive. You can't debug something that cannot execute anymore.

So, last but not least, If I wanted to debug the kernel, I would write a little program in userspace and do some fancy things there. Once I had been successful gathering all information that I wanted, I would try the same things in kernelspace. And if I really wanted to test how a system behaves if you rip out the ram, start simulating hardware failure by writing zeros to certain positions of the harddisk. But surely not the whole ramdisk!

Just Joined!
    I just feel my Ubuntu is very special.

Now I can modify the kernel source code to crash system, yet still, the oops info is written to /var/crash , and the "black screen" still doesn't occur.

Anyway, wherever the oops info is written to, I have found it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2