Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have spent about 7 days to find out that the crash reports is stored in /var/crash for Ubuntu. So now I don't think Ubuntu is suitable for me to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem: kdump and kexec

I have spent about 7 days to find out that the crash reports is stored in /var/crash for Ubuntu.
    So now I don't think Ubuntu is suitable for me to study Linux debugging. In fact I have tried hard to configure kdump/kexec on Ubuntu, but I failed finally.
    So please recommend me a Linux OS on which I can configure kdump/kexec easily.
    As you know, I don't think one can resolve hard bugs without the memory dump file. I think Linux is just the same as Windows.
    Thanks!

Just Joined!
    In my Ubuntu 9.10, I have configured kdump & kexec carefully again and again. But when I crash the kernel deliberately, the graphical screen just remains as before, no oops, no dump process, and no reboot.

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately, for kernel 2.6.31.13, while I use kernel parameter "kgdbwait ......" in Ubuntu and reboot, system will NOT wait and will NOT print "Waiting for connection from remote gdb...".

So now I will ask this question: do you use Ubuntu? do you use Debian or other OS? I want to switch to another OS.