Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to measure the performance of ramdisk (size is 2GB) on a Nehalem based system (with CentOS5.4) with 4GRam. It looks like I get better throughput (~4GB/sec) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How read/write requests are dispatched to the ramdisk driver

Hi,
    I am trying to measure the performance of ramdisk (size is 2GB) on a Nehalem based system (with CentOS5.4) with 4GRam. It looks like I get better throughput (~4GB/sec) only when I try to read the data of 512K. If I read less or more than 512K, then the throughput is less.
    If ramdik driver is using the request queue then it makes sense. But ramdisk driver is not using request queue and it has its own make_request function i.e brd_make_request(...). Can anybody tell me what could be the reason here in getting better throughput for a transfer of 512K.

Thanks & Regards,
    Ramu

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When you read more or less than 512K, what size are you using? If you are using values that are not multiples of the system page size (probably 4k) then the slowdown is understandable, especially if they are also not a multiple of a system word size (either 4 or 8 bytes, depending upon whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I was using the transfer sizes 64K, 256K, 512K, 1M, 2M etc.

Regards,
    Ramu

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, those should be OK, although the nominal sector size for discs (including I believe ramdiscs) is 512bytes, and file system chunk size is 4k (4096) bytes. So, why there is a serious degradation if you select something other than 512KB to read I don't know enough to answer right now.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!