Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Anybody aware of a fairly stable distro that's still running and supports 2.6.28.x.x and below? Want to give it a try. Thanks!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

In Search of a Distro Running on 2.6.28x.x

Hi,

Anybody aware of a fairly stable distro that's still running and supports 2.6.28.x.x and below?

Want to give it a try.

Thanks!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Linux Guru
    Antix 8.2 when I ran it before I updated to AntiX 8.5 ran a 2.26.27 kernel. If wanting a newer kernel. AntiX runs the smxi script

Just use the antiX 8.2 .iso link in the Mepis article at the distrowatch link I gave you to get the direct download. MD5sum is provided on that writeup also below the link.

AntiX 8.2 is based on Debian Lenny and Mepis 8,0 repos. You can run Gome,KDE, and XFCE also via the meta package installer besides the icewm and fluxbox and rox-pinboard desktops. It is a rolling release distro also if you wish to choose to run it that way. Highly Tweakable.

AntiX 8.5 is based on Debian Squeeze repos only with Mepis repos commented out. It uses the 2.6.31 kernel also.

I should also mention Sidux repos are available in both versions. They are just commented out is all.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 05-31-2010 at 06:49 AM.

Thanks!

I wanted to try something that might allow backlight adjustment in my laptop. 2.6.30.x.x and above has a known bug about this.

Will give it a try.

nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Just a warning. If messing with smxi. Do Not update udev with the 2.6.27 or 2.6.28 kernel in Debian. udev upgrade requires the 2.6.30 kernel and above. If you let it upgrade udev. It will break your 8.2 install. Any upgrades. I always select the default no and keep my original scripts instead of installing the upgraded software maintainers version. When upgrading. You will be asked this. Just a friendly warning. If installing KDE or Gnome or XFCE, Accept GDM (for Gnome or XFCE) or KDM (for KDE) login manager instead of sticking with SLIM. SLIM can get buggy with KDE and Gnome I have noticed also.

Thanks!

By the way, before I start messing around with this. Would you happen to remember if the wireless and flash runs out of the box or do I still have to compile?
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Linux Guru
    Flash runs out of the box. Wireless as always depends on the chipset. You have Ceni, Wicd, and Rutilt for wireless connection managers. You can use Ceni to see your wireless interface and connect with it for starters. If using Wicd. You have to enter wireless connection like wlan0 or wlan1 in Wicd Preferences. It will be blank by default. Whichever Ceni had showed you as the wireless interface is what you can enter in wicds wireless interface. Also in Wicd under preferences if having trouble keeping a connection you can stwitch from Automatic to dhclient in wicd preferences also.

Hi rok!

I downloaded and burned the iso. Having a problem booting. It does not detect.
    I wanted to try it first in virtualbox but it did no read.

Then I used it to boot my system but when it started same results. I checked the cd properties in XP and it gave seemingly good results like how many MBs used etc.

In my linux though, the cd drive does not detect.

I wonder what it is I did not do right?

Thanks
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Linux Guru
    I wonder what it is I did not do right?
    Have you ever burned a Linux ISO as a Image before? Also If The CD is a CDRW. Some older cdroms won't boot em.

Hi rok!

I was able to download again and burn the ISO in another machine and am now using the live cd.

I love the feel. I find it to be somewhat of a cross between lenny and mint.

The wireless worked right of the box and so did the flash.

I have one concern though. I thought that since it runs on kernel ...

Code:
    demo@mepis1:~$ uname -r
    2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
    demo@mepis1:~$
    I would be able to control brightness using keyboard.

There is a known bug regarding brightness control from kernel 2.6.30.x.x and above.

Would you have any ideas how I may try to adjust my brightness please?

I used the below in my fedora 10 & mint 7 and it does the trick. However, it seems that it's not working now.

Code:
    demo@mepis1:~$ xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
    X Error of failed request:  BadRROutput (invalid Output parameter)
      Major opcode of failed request:  155 (RANDR)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  15 (RRGetOutputProperty)
      Serial number of failed request:  14
      Current serial number in output stream:  14
    demo@mepis1:~$
    Thank you!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Linux Guru
    Next time you want to find info on your system. Try typing in

Code:
    inxi -F
    You will be pleasantly surprised.

For the brightness issue

Go into synaptic package manager and look for apci and apci tools. Install both (they don't come installed by default because AntiX philosophy is to come lean and mean)

Brightness keys work on my Asus EEEPC 900, IBM T23 Laptop, IBM A22 Laptop as well as other hot keys. You might think of joining antiX-forum • Index page as everyone there is just as friendly as here and are more knowledgable than I with certain functions of Distro. They have helped me on numerous occasions.