Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I have got a set top box with linux kernel 2.6.9 installed (marusys, ibm powerpc stb04500). I grabbed the linux kernel from hxxp://stb.marusys.com and built a cross compiler using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Guessing kernel options for modules

Hi!

I have got a set top box with linux kernel 2.6.9 installed (marusys, ibm powerpc stb04500).

I grabbed the linux kernel from hxxp://stb.marusys.com and built a cross compiler using crosstool-ng.

I need loop support so I built it as a module, but the module won't load on the set top box:

insmod: cannot insert `loop.ko': Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error
    How do I find the right configure options to build a proper kernel module?

I have to say that I am not using the gcc, glibc and binutils which were used to build the "box software"- could this be a problem?

TIA,
    Heiko.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Caveman View Post
    Hi!

I have got a set top box with linux kernel 2.6.9 installed (marusys, ibm powerpc stb04500).

I grabbed the linux kernel from hxxp://stb.marusys.com and built a cross compiler using crosstool-ng.

I need loop support so I built it as a module, but the module won't load on the set top box:

How do I find the right configure options to build a proper kernel module?

I have to say that I am not using the gcc, glibc and binutils which were used to build the "box software"- could this be a problem?

TIA,
    Heiko.
    Since you are trying to build compiler using crosstools, following packages are required
    gcc, glibc, binutils etc. or you can download readly available cross compiler.

regards
    Soibam

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by soibam anando singh View Post
    Since you are trying to build compiler using crosstools, following packages are required
    gcc, glibc, binutils etc. or you can download readly available cross compiler.

regards
    Soibam
    I compiled the kernel with the crosstools-ng cross compiler (host: linux x86; target: linux ppc) on my desktop system, but the compiled modules won't load on the set top box.

Just now I found (on the same website ) a precompiled cross compiler for the box (host: linux x86; target: linux ppc). I built the kernel module and it loads!

So the gcc, glibc, binutils "combo" has influence on kernel modules...

Thanks,
    Heiko.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close