Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have encountered a problem with TX packet bursts which overwhelm low cost switches ( when transferring UDP from Gig to 100 net ). As I understand the TX ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network device TX interrupts

Hello,

I have encountered a problem with TX packet bursts which overwhelm low cost switches ( when transferring UDP from Gig to 100 net ).
    As I understand the TX & RX are controlled by an interrupt generated by the network device. on regular working mode the interrupts are generated on received packets or by some scheduler mechanism.
    The issue which is not clear to me: is it possible to control the TX interrupt from kernel network stack or is it controlled entirely by the network device?

thanx,

I could be wrong, but I do not think the kernel can control TX interrupts. These are specific to the device, not the kernel. The device is handling layer 1 issues, which is where TX/RX issues would be found. Layers 2 and up is where the control is passed up to the kernel and beyond.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Just Joined!
    It is clear to me that the RX interrupt is handled by the device. what I am trying to understand is whether the TX is handles by the same interrupt or it could be manipulated from the network stack in order to achieve lower latency, and by that reduce the size of the network bursts.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close