Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, Im actually carrying an internship and I would like to make some traffic analysis on a Kernel level. My first goal is to build a loadable module to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network traffic analysis - Kernel level - please help

Hi everybody,

Im actually carrying an internship and I would like to make some traffic analysis on a Kernel level. My first goal is to build a loadable module to count how many packets go throught eth0 during a short time and to save this packets somewhere (maybe in a created /proc/<my_folder> folder). I read about net_device and net_device stat but I cant find any .c to see how it works. So Ive two questions:

[1]Do you think net_device is the good way to do it?
    [2]Do you know where I could find any examples?

/* Config */
    2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Thank you for helping!

Just Joined!
    Anybody? No idea?

Just Joined!
    You probably want to look at the NETFILTER post-routing hook. It is a built in interception point where you could check the intended destination interface of a packet by inspecting skb->dev.

Shouldn't be a concern for this particular task but I recently found out there was a significant change in 2.6.31+ in the way the kernel uses net_device. Much of the funtionality (callbacks etc) is now in net_device_ops.

I strongly suggest the books "Linux Device Drivers" and "Linux Network Internals" (both O'Reilly books)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you for your answer.
    I have the first book but I dont know the second one, ill tri to find it.