Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am totaly new for Linux. If I am using modprobe ftdi_sio, I am getting following error - FATAL: module ftdi_sio not found I am using Ubuntu 8.0.4 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to compile module ftdi_sio?

Hi,

I am totaly new for Linux.

If I am using modprobe ftdi_sio, I am getting following error -
    FATAL: module ftdi_sio not found

I am using Ubuntu 8.0.4 and kernel 2.6.29. How can I know that ftdi module is compiled with the kernel?and If it is not already compiled with kernel how I can compile it?

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    >I am totaly new for Linux.
    Nice you are switching to linux

>I am using Ubuntu 8.0.4 and kernel 2.6.29. How can I know that ftdi module is compiled with the kernel?
    Go to folder "lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/" and execute this command "find ./ -name ftdi_sio.ko", it will search for the file of the compiled module. In case you don't find anything you have no module.

>and If it is not already compiled with kernel how I can compile it?
    To compile the module you have to download the source for your kernel. Once you download the source copy the config file of your kernel version from /boot folder.
    After that run 'sudo make menuconfig' and you have to enable this module. To do this go to Device Drivers->USB Support->USB Serial Converter Support->USB FTDI Single Port Serial Driver, and press space bar so you can see an "<M>" next to this option.
    Then compile the modules with the command 'sudo make modules'.
    And last but not least copy the .ko file to the modules folder.

Hope this helps, good luck

Regards,
    Aldo Brett

Note: `uname -r` is the command to know your kernel version, when you put a command between `` it executes.