Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've tried installing several different kernels all downloaded from kernel dot org (starting with the latest stable 2.6.35.3 and then some older ones) and after I reboot to the new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel panic

I've tried installing several different kernels all downloaded from kernel dot org (starting with the latest stable 2.6.35.3 and then some older ones) and after I reboot to the new kernel I get a kernel panic. Another unusual thing is there's a list of numbers in brackets before the boot up messages. I've tried on two completely different boxes and still the same result. Has anyone else had any trouble installing newer kernels?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to look at the system as a unit. Not just the kernel, but all the dynamically loadable driver/kernel modules, system libraries, etc. What version of Linux (distribution) are you running? Have you ever built a kernel? Are you trying to install a pre-built kernel? Are you sure that it is compatible with your hardware? All of these issues are relevant to the problem. A kernel will only "panic" when it finds that the system is not properly configured, or that the hardware is incompatible with how it was built.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    And the list of numbers is ,i suppose , the time after boot up with a resolution upto .0001 ms . is it ?
    U must change ur debugging options in kernel to disable tat

Just Joined!
    I think it's because I haven't configured an initrd which was in a README.initram under the /boot directtory.
    I'll try that