Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys, now i have the linux kernel(version 2.6 to be exact) and i'm thinking about monekying around with it but there seems to be like a billion of lines ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel system calls

hey guys,
    now i have the linux kernel(version 2.6 to be exact) and i'm thinking about monekying around with it but there seems to be like a billion of lines of code which i cant decipher, i tried various tutorials but they seem to just explain the "concepts" of the linux kernel rather than delving head deep into the kernel code its self. Now i'm not saying that i want a paragraph-long description of each function because that would be impossible, however, i at least want to know enough so that i can develop my own desktop environment if i wanted. so if anyone can point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by neur0n View Post
    so if anyone can point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it.
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

For working with the Linux kernel, I highly recommend these resources:

Digital Hermit - Kernel-Build-HOWTO

Understanding the Linux Kernel, Third Edition - O'Reilly Media

Linux Kernel in a Nutshell - O'Reilly Media
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks, alot and i know one of these books may say how to do it but since i haven't bought any as yet could you tell me how to execute a program from another program(as in what calls do you need to make)